Flat country cougars

vz63

Guys-
I've had several people down here in the flatlands claim to have seen mountain lions, their tracks (which I think I've seen too) and the results of their feeding or attacks on domestic livestock.
Anybody have any experience with this? Any idea where they might be hiding out in this mix of sagebrush & grass?
vz63

------------------

vz63,
Follow the food source, more than likely it is a pair of young lions(2 year olds) just kicked out by mama and in transit between other lions territories. Domestic livestock is easier to catch and kill for young lions. They will be "here today and gone tomorrow" so to speak.
Steve

------------------
www.azpredatorhunts.com

OK
The just passing through idea really works, but passing from what to what? The terrain around here is more or less the same for at least 50 miles in any direction, and more than that most ways. Will they cover that much open ground looking for a place to more or less settle down?
Is it possible that these critters are holed up in a river valley or thicker brushy/pseudo tree cover?
Hope this doesn't make me look like even more of an idiot, but I'm looking for even possible answers.
vz63

------------------

They pass from lion territory to lion territory looking for unoccupied country. An old Tom will not tolerate a young male in his territory.....period. If the cat doesnt move on it will be hunted down and killed.

Lions during breeding season can cover 50 miles in one night! They will travel drainages in open country, and drainages in brush country. It makes no difference wheather the country is open, brushy, hills, mountains,or wheather it is the streets of Prescott, AZ.(yes they do travel the streets of Prescott) They will have a travel line that will be used untill they are killed or they die,and they will travel that route over and over again and then another lion will take over the same route when said lion is killed. Look for the thickest cover along a major drainage in you neck of the country in open country. That is where you will find your cats. Hope this helps,
Steve

------------------
www.azpredatorhunts.com

Steve-
Thanx a bunch for the info. I guess I always thought of them as being rougher country type critters.
Appreciate you guys putting up with my ignorance.
vz63

Back