Dies for reloading for an AR rifle.

flyinlizard1

Ok I am very strongly thinking about buying my first AR rifle. Most likely a RRA or Bushy in .223rem. I have been reloading for 30+ years but never for a semi-auto. I assume that full length sizing is always required. While looking at dies I noticed some say they are designed for AR rifles and size the base smaller. Is that needed or will regular FL sizing dies work. Thanks in advance. Paul

Ok ,another question, I see them listed as 5.56 nato chamber and 5.56-.223 chamber. Whats the differance and are they interchange able?

Flyin,
I'll try not to screw this up, but the chamber size of the 5.56 and .223 are different in terms of length. You can shoot both the 5.56 and .223 round in an AR, but if you try and shoot a 5.56 in a .223 chamber, you could be in for some serious trouble. Thats because the throat in a .223 is actually shorter than the 5.56 throat and your pressures would be way there in the shorter chamber. As for the dies, personally I'd go with the AR specific dies that MIGHT give you a little better overall accuracy. And I'd be using Redding Dies as I do in my son's AR becuase of their repuation for better resizing the base of the casing than other dies that don't resize the base quite as much to original chamber specs. Hope that helps some.

Shynloco, I do use redding dies for my 6.5 x 47 lapua pistol, very happy with them. So no matter what chamber I have,5.56 0r .223 if I stick with .223 cartridges I should be safe, correct?

I full length resize with standard rcbs 223 dies and haven't had any issues yet and I always keep my brass trimmed within specs.

You dont need the dies they say are for AR's.. They are small base dies and are not needed. I reload for .204, .223, 6.5 grendel, .260, .308, .458 Socom, and 50 Beowulf all in the AR platform and all with standard full length dies. I have Hornady, Redding, and RCBS. All work great for an AR. If you have reloaded for this long I assume you understand headspace. Take a fired case from your AR and measure the headspace of your chamber. Set your die up to full length size the brass and bump the should back .002 and you will save the life of your brass and should be good. I really like the Hornady and Redding dies the best.

Originally Posted By: loadedjoeFL sizing dies is all ive ever used, no problems yet.

Same here.

Although the x dies from RCBS look tempting.

.223 and 5.56x47 chambers are the same, just the throats are different. Most .223 bolt actions have a 1 in 12 twist for 40-60 grain bullets. Most AR's have a 1 in 9 or faster twist and can shoot 40-80 grain bullets. 5.56x47 is also loaded to higher pressures, and the brass is thicker. Most AR's should be chambered for 5.56x47 and will also shoot .223 Remington.

Carbide dies for tapered cases would probably be cost prohibitive.

I always full length resize with a standard RCBS die, no problems yet. Never crimp.

Dillon makes full carbide dies for the .223/5.56mm and the 308/7.62x51.

I own the 223/5.56mm carbide die and it is the best die I have ever owned - about $135.

Originally Posted By: ninehorses5.56x47 is also loaded to higher pressures...

That is not true - both are loaded to the same pressures - the military cannot afford a case failure in combat.

Originally Posted By: ninehorses... and the brass is thicker.

Also not true - the Lake City cases are the same thickness and weight as commercial brass (about 92/94-ish grains)

Sorry, I was just quoting the Nosler and Sierra manuals info. I never checked the water capcity or weight. I also read somewhere that some of the ball (M855) is loaded to higher pressures. I pretty shure it was in the Rifleman(NRA) a while back. I'll see if I can find it.

Last edited:
The higher pressure would come from jamming a military round into the .223 throat. I have wondered how hard it would be to take a .223 and have a throating reamer into it so it could shoot 5.56 ammo, but since I reload all the ammo I shoot I haven't bothered to look.

A friend of mine called Saturday evening with the same question. His son is looking for a bolt gun that would safely handle 5.56 ammo. As far as I know the new Mossberg MVP is the only one.

Manufacturers load .223 Rem. to 55,000 psi, as established by SAAMI (Sporting Arms & Ammunition Institute). The maximum average pressure for the 5.56 NATO is about 61,600 psi, as established by the U.S. Military. This is 11 percent more than .223 Rem. pressures. Because the 5.56 NATO is a military cartridge, SAAMI hasn’t set pressure limits for it. This is why all handloading data published conforms to SAAMI .223 Rem. pressure limits.

I copied and pasted this right off the NRA website, it's in the ammo section. Try this, www.americanrifleman.org/articles/223-remington-specifics/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ninehorsesManufacturers load .223 Rem. to 55,000 psi, as established by SAAMI (Sporting Arms & Ammunition Institute). The maximum average pressure for the 5.56 NATO is about 61,600 psi, as established by the U.S. Military. This is 11 percent more than .223 Rem. pressures. Because the 5.56 NATO is a military cartridge, SAAMI hasn’t set pressure limits for it. This is why all handloading data published conforms to SAAMI .223 Rem. pressure limits.

I copied and pasted this right off the NRA website, it's in the ammo section. Try this, www.americanrifleman.org/articles/223-remington-specifics/

Sorry...

Apples and Oranges.

The two pressures are taken by different means. One is "copper crusher" and one is "strain" - and the two systems are directly NOT comparable.

Loads that were originally set and calibrated by copper crusher to be in the mid 50kpsia, wind up to be in the mid 60kpsia when tested with current transducer gauges.

Also... (a big one) you cannot compare MAP pressures with mean pressures - you give the SAMMI mean pressure and the military MAP pressure - not a fair discussion - shame on you!!!
mad.gif

Back