To QD or Not

fluffiedog

Will have the RRA Varmint A4 20" next month and I'm going crazy over how to mount a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 on it.

1. Is the QD systems for around 175.00 + solid enough for return zero

2. Would I be better off going with a rail riser and good rings

3. I don't have to get the QD's but I'm leaning toward them/ Someone talk me out of it if you can

I've had 7-8 scopes mounted over the years. Never one on a AR. Hey I'm open. Thanks
cool.gif

Do you have another upper you plan using the Vortex for?? If not I see no reason going QD. The only advantage I see with QD is if you are going to be bouncing your optics from one upper to another frequently. I have a Burris PEPR QD on my RRA and after purchasing, I decided to put another scope on my 2nd upper rather than swapping between the two.
Also the fixed mounts come off pretty quick too.

Just my .02

Dave

Last edited:
I vote NO on the QD.

I have a LaRue LT 104 with VFZ mount (non QD) on my AR and like it very much. In fact, I just ordered another for the 6.8 I'm building.
Here's why I vote NO on the QD:

I rarely remove my mount from the gun.

I believe the VFZ mount is just as secure and repeatable as the QD (I removed my mount in order to replace the free float handguard and when I put it back on it returned to zero)

The LaRue QD is $50 more than the VFZ. I see no need to spend an extra Ulysses S. Grant for a feature that I will almost never use.

That's my opinion, and YMMV.

If you plan on switching your scopes back an forth amongst several rifles, get the QD. If your scope will live on your rifle get the LaRue LT 104 with VFZ

I hardly, if ever, swap scopes or take them off for any reason.

QD is a must for a Soldier or LE. That way you can get to your BUIS if the optic is destroyed. But for a hunter/target shooter they are a (IMO) waste of money.

Save the money over a QD and use it towards a Geissele trigger.
thumbup.gif

Al

Last edited:
only QD if you need to remove scope to put in a safe or for some special reason. waste of money if you don't need the QD. imho

From your description on an AR, I would vote NO.

I have QD mounts on a couple of big game rifles. When going in on horseback, I like to carry a spare scope (pre-zeroed) along just in case of a trainwreck or a fall, etc. Cheap insurance 20+ miles from the trailhead!!

NB

Originally Posted By: H82MissI vote NO on the QD.

I have a LaRue LT 104 with VFZ mount (non QD) on my AR and like it very much. In fact, I just ordered another for the 6.8 I'm building.
Here's why I vote NO on the QD:

I rarely remove my mount from the gun.

I believe the VFZ mount is just as secure and repeatable as the QD (I removed my mount in order to replace the free float handguard and when I put it back on it returned to zero)

The LaRue QD is $50 more than the VFZ. I see no need to spend an extra Ulysses S. Grant for a feature that I will almost never use.

That's my opinion, and YMMV.

If you plan on switching your scopes back an forth amongst several rifles, get the QD. If your scope will live on your rifle get the LaRue LT 104 with VFZ

Looks like you just saved me $50 in the future. I didn't realize that they now offered 104 w/o QD. I have one and really like it, but rarely use the QD (actually maybe never have). I'm gald to see that the next AR I can save a little $ and still have a Larue holding the scope.

I'm getting the feeling that solid and fixed is the way. I have thought about this a good bit and I'm now leaning toward the fixed with your persuasion.
Would I have a more flexible mounting (mounting the scope more forward) option with the fixed.

Last edited:
As far as the LaRue mount goes, the only difference between the QD and VFZ is the way it attaches to the rail. The QD have levers that cam tight on the rail, the VFZ has bolts that tighten the mount.
Same mount, as far as cantilever and being able to mount it forward and back along the rail.

I never buy QD rings. Once the scope goes on the gun it rarely comes off. I have had good luck with the Rock River mount on my RRA Pred Pursuit.

Well the good thing about QD mounts is that they quickly and easily detach. The bad thing about QD mounts is, you guessed it, they quickly and easily detach.

I also have a RRA upper. It has a RRA high rise one piece mount on it. About a month ago I pulled it off and mounted it and scope on a friends AR to check grouping on the upper he just got. Shot 50-75 rounds through it. Did not adjust zero. Put it back on mine. Checked zero I could not tell a change in point of impact. Maybe got lucky I don't know. Your millage may vary. I would by another given half a chance.

Back