Anybody try using a 20 gauge for coyote?

Yep. Took a guy out that had a 20 gauge, told him to bring along buckshot, he ended up bringing #4 birdshot. I didn't know that until I hear the shot, hear the coyote yelp, and go over to find the coyote on the ground. The wound pattern was tight and different looking, but it went through and through. I WOULDN'T advise using birdshot, but the coyote was within 20 yards so it got the job done. With the right choke and the right load it will get the job done, you just have to get them in close and sit still.

Originally Posted By: NitromanA guy I work with uses a Remmie 870 with No. 4 buck for wolves.

Your 20 will work.

Where do you find 20ga loaded with 4buck?

Chupa

Thanks for all the replies!I already have a couple 12's but considering the 20 mainly for grouse,rabbits,etc.Just wanted to see if it would be decent for coyotes to within a reasonable range.

It's a shotgun, so yes, it will kill them. Try a number of suitably sized loads, pattern them thoroughly with different chokes, and pick your effective range from that, then go hunting. Effective as a 12 or 10 at longer ranges - no - generally not. Still kill with in it's effective range - yup. A given pellet at the same speed carries the same energy and will penetrate just like one from a 12 or 10 - there are just less pellets in the load to start with - pattern, chose effective range, hunt. Oh, and enjoy it!! LOL!!!

I took one last turkey season at about 25 yards with a Charles Daly 20 and #4 turkey loads, he didnt seem to know the difference between a 12 and a 20
wink.gif

Bern- with both the 3" and 2 and 3/4" buckshot i have had great success. killed 60-75 coyotes with it. my gun paterns very tight. pattern your gun you will know how far you can take them.

3" 20 ga buck should work but your range will probably not get past 40 yards. If you roll your own load up a 3" max load of BB in some sort of HD or lead.

I carry some 2 3/4 inch 20 ga #3 buck at all times when upland hunting. I haven't had to use it yet but its better then lugging my G-20 through the briars and chukar country.

Back