Calling For Bears

I'm new to predator calling, and i love it. i've hunted ducks and geese for years and always loved the calling as much as the shooting. Since august first i've hunted all but two days for bear, in that time i've called, and called, and called. so far i've called in 5 coyotes, two foxes and a cougar two days ago, although it was out of range when i saw it( i'm hunting with open sights) and it dissapeared into brush headded my way. i have also been quite succesfull at calling mosquitos as thousands have come my way
the thrill or calling predators towers over ducks in my book and has changed my schedule forever no doubt.
but i want to call bears right now. and all i get is canines. i plan to hunt canines later in the year when its cooler out. the article listed above helps. are there any more articles, or anymore advice you can give me about bear calling. in two weeeks of hunting i saw one bear in the rimrock area of yakima county, but it wasnt the right situation. the bear ran out in front of my truck and i almost hit it!!. he was gone by the time i got out. i want to call one. spot ting a bear in yakima county isnt a regular occuance. any advice??? thank you

Fastdam, The bears around here are not moving until sunset because of the heat.
We called two on a cougar stand late Sunday evening. It is supposed to start cooling down Saturday. The first place they head in the evening is to water. Try calling then up from the creek bottoms late in the day.
Bob

do you have any advice for keeping the skeeters at bay? maybe a natural repelant or something? they're getting me through my clothing.

Bob after reading that item , it seems that i did everything right with the exception of calling way to little . I should have kept it up . Calling bears is alot diffrent then coyotes . Ill have to bring the Fox Pro next time , as it does not get winded like i do . he . he . Jerry .

So to call bears does it need to be constant calling? just taking breaks to catch my breath?? will a rabbit work or does it have to be a fawn distress ? also,...if there are no berries in the area, what food sources might cause bears to congregate?

Jerry, Do you know why bears are easier to call uphill?

[This message has been edited by BobR (edited 08-17-2001).]

Back