So this stray dog shows up

RayB

and my family wants to keep it. Been thinking about getting another dog and this guys appears to fit the need.

He's evidently been living on his own, probably dumped out. It happens a lot out where we live. He's very thin and his first three "movements" in my yard show he's been eating mostly grain.

He sas lot's of prey drive. I took him for a walk and we jumped a cottontail, he ran it for about 3/4 of a mile before losing it under some hay bales. Also discovered one of my chickens....it wasn't pretty.

Was wondering if some of the experts would chime in and take a guess as to what breed he is or may be partly. He has two glass eyes and is about 70 pounds. Thanks for looking...

d.jpg

e.jpg

Most definitely pitbull or pitbull cross. Coloration, head, and shoulders give it away. Sounds like he'll make a fine addition to the family.

Tony

Originally Posted By: RayB Also discovered one of my chickens....it wasn't pretty.

Ooops.
smile.gif

I had to say ooops a lot when my pit discovered cats. That wasn't pretty either.

Originally Posted By: knockemdownLooks like it's got some bulldog or AB, mixed with maybe some catahoula? (glass eye)

Someone's discarded hog dog, perhaps?

I thought the same thing but he doesn't have any scars. Every hog dog I've ever been around had at least some nicks on them. He knows "sit" and "down". He wants in the house really bad and when you tell him to load up or get in the truck, he runs to the door instead of the tailgate. He also goes in a large crate/kennel when you tell him to so I'm thinking he was someone's inside dog that got too big and they dumped him. He's only about a year old.

Last edited:
I would guess pit cross of some kind. Maybe pitt cat criss but Who cares what he is... Name him seamus (pronounced shay-mus) and love and hunt him.

Looks like a pure pit to me. There is really only one way to find out though and that would require another pit, a 16x16 foot box, a stopwatch and could get you in a heap of trouble... LOL!

Joking aside, it looks like someone lost a catchdog. Before you get too attached you might want to look for the owner. If you don't find them, best of luck with him.

Take care.

Everyone is saying what I was thinking. Cat/Bull cross or just a big headed cat. Either way, he's staying.

Originally Posted By: CatdawgLooks like a pure pit to me.

I'm kinda suprised you said that, Mason.
For one, that'd be a heckuva big pit to be 70 lbs. in such poor shape. That dog could hold another 10 lbs, easy.
And his body is too big in relation to the head to think pure pitdog. And the tail ain't right for a pit either (too thick)
Although there are some family bred bulldogs where white coloration show like that, but I've never seen one with a glass eye?
Eyes & body type tell me: catahoula
White coloration & head shape tell me: some kinda bulldog (pit or AB) But there's plenty of block headed catahoulas, so who really knows? Interesting to speculate about though...

No matter, it is a very, very handsome dog!!!

I hope it serves you well and you done a very good thing taking it in!!!

Originally Posted By: CatdawgLooks like a pure pit to me. There is really only one way to find out though and that would require another pit, a 16x16 foot box, a stopwatch and could get you in a heap of trouble... LOL!

Joking aside, it looks like someone lost a catchdog. Before you get too attached you might want to look for the owner. If you don't find them, best of luck with him.

Take care.

No way he's a catchdog. Doesn't have a cut or scar on him. He doesn't have any dog agression in him at all. Introduced him to neighbor's dogs and one tried to pick a fight. He never even growled back.

We are actively searching for an owner but out where we live, strays are usually drop offs. We all know each other dogs.

Quite a few American Bulldogs have blue eyes. Coloration matches most of them too. Could be a cross or pure. Either way...good looking dog.

Back