Guns for hungry bears

todbartell

I have tried calling bears on occasion, with little success. Only one bear seemed interested at all, but he hung up at more than 200 yards. Maybe that was a good thing, as I was only carrying my 30-30. He was a big bastard too, I would of given my left *** for my 7mm Mag! Anyways, what calibers would be best for a bear that was looking for a meal? A meal like that dying rabbit sound he followed all the way to you, sitting at the base of that tree. I would think that a Marlin 45/70 with "hot" 350 gr. handloads would be perfect, at least out to 100 yards. Maybe a 338 Mag or a 338 Ultra with 250 gr. would be better at longer ranges. I have read that it is foolish to take a long shot at anything with sharp claws and teeth, so I try to get as close as i can before shooting.

So, what would be your ideal black bear rig?

Well..hmm. Those you mention would all make really good bear guns. Bet most would kick like a Texas mule though. I just use my 7mm rem mag and it seems to work fine. I like 145 gr speer grand slams backed with 64 gr IMR4350.

Hello,
Would take either of the 338's over the 45/70, strictly because I don't much care for lever guns or the accuracy their flat-nose fodder tends to deliver, but that is just me. Any of the above will stop a bear. I am planning a bear hunt with my buddy and I will be using my 30-06, 200 grain partition.

todbartell:

Being from BC, you didn't specify what kind of bears. Black (400 lbs), Brown (1000 lbs), etc...there is a big difference of whether you hunt them or they hunt you.

Anyhow I have used 7mag very successfully on both Black and Brown, but my favorite is a 45/110 400 Gr LBT-WFN - it will blow a Brown right out of his sox.....

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
one shot~one kill

Shotgun,
Not to bust your nards or anything, but look at todbartell's last sentence.
biggrin.gif

Chris

I stand corrected......just got excited talking about hunting big predators (bruins) and put fingers into motion before brain caught up. Tend to do that sometimes with my mouth too.....Good Hunting anyhow!

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
one shot~one kill

Shotgun--I see you are an LBT customer. I have 2 LBT moulds for muzzleloaders, and 1 for my .45/70. Fantastic moulds. I can hardly wait for them to begin production again. As you are probably aware they had some differences of opinion with the IRS re: business accounting, and are out of production for the time being.

Well, for my money I'd say the most lethal and devistating big and dangerous game stopper would be a .45-70 loaded with Randy Garretts 540 gr. Hammerhead ammo. They'll shoot legnthwise through a Cape Buffalo. They run 1550 fps. and low pressure 35,000.
If you check them out at: www.garrettcartridges.com and click on "products" I think you will be impressed. My .375 H&H w/ 350 gr. Barnes is now a backup gun.

All best and keep ur powder dry...

Cas in Alaska

------------------
For a GREAT Business Opportunity,
and OUTSTANDING shopping experience...
EXPLORE www.cgdevelopment.net Referral# 779609
Password: guest
And: www.quixtar.com
Referral# 779609

Originally posted by todbartell:
I have tried calling bears on occasion, with little success. Only one bear seemed interested at all, but he hung up at more than 200 yards. Maybe that was a good thing, as I was only carrying my 30-30. He was a big bastard too, I would of given my left *** for my 7mm Mag! Anyways, what calibers would be best for a bear that was looking for a meal? A meal like that dying rabbit sound he followed all the way to you, sitting at the base of that tree. I would think that a Marlin 45/70 with "hot" 350 gr. handloads would be perfect, at least out to 100 yards. Maybe a 338 Mag or a 338 Ultra with 250 gr. would be better at longer ranges. I have read that it is foolish to take a long shot at anything with sharp claws and teeth, so I try to get as close as i can before shooting.

So, what would be your ideal black bear rig?

It's not so much the gun but where you put lead that counts. Any of the guns mentioned will do the job as long as good judgement is used when the shot is taken.

I personally think that a .300 win mag with a180gr nosler partition in the boiler room
would do the trick out to 400 yards across
a swamp in northern Ontario and drop them in
their tracks as was mentioned earlier shoot
placement the key element combined with adequate ballistic performance the results will always be fruitful good hunting

My Ideal all around gun is my .375 also, Cas. Mine's a rem 700 BDL...what's yours? I shoot 300 gr. My dad and brother use .338, which I can asure you, is lethal when used on coyotes...but only if used with boslar partition 250 gr. nickel plated safari loads
biggrin.gif
...anybody need a visual (I have a pic)??
wink.gif

I like the .375 because it has alot of punch, and seldom requires a second shot(read:never). Also, even if used on relatively smaller game, like blacktail deer, the hole in the ribs will only be slightly larger, but you'll still be ready to combat any dinner-bell bears you may meet.

Howdy BadMedicine . . .

I agree on the .375 H&H for the All Round World rifle crown. Mine is a 1917 Enfield w/ Dayton-Traister trigger to convert to cock on opening....22" #6 countour Douglas barrel, synthetic stock w/ Clifton sliding/disappearing bipod, 2-3/4X Burris Scoutescope and M-14 front sight w/ ghostring rear....Pachymeyer flush sockets for CW sling. A bit too heavy, but the rig works!!

The Randy Garrett 540 gr. .45-70 ammo is a far better stopper than even the .375 H&H but the bullet path is not as good as the .375.

The Sierra 300 gr. Spitzer boattail is a Wonderful sheep and goat bullet, but is is NOT...I say again NOT a reliable bear or dangerous game bullet. That bullet fails on the big heavy stuff and can get you killed.
The most lethal and reliable jackated big game bullet is the Winchester Fail Safe.

The .338 Mag. loses many big bears in Alaska. Far better to stick with the .375 H&H. For big heavy stuff, Always Always remember this....you don't want more velocity and string trajectory. You need to know how to shoot... and you need MORE BULLET!!!!! Mass and Weight...Mass and Weight...with a BIG FLAT BLUNT SQUARE POINT!!!!!

All best and keep ur powder dry . . .

Cas in Alaska.

Originally posted by BadMedicine:
My Ideal all around gun is my .375 also, Cas. Mine's a rem 700 BDL...what's yours? I shoot 300 gr. My dad and brother use .338, which I can asure you, is lethal when used on coyotes...but only if used with boslar partition 250 gr. nickel plated safari loads
biggrin.gif
...anybody need a visual (I have a pic)??
wink.gif

I like the .375 because it has alot of punch, and seldom requires a second shot(read:never). Also, even if used on relatively smaller game, like blacktail deer, the hole in the ribs will only be slightly larger, but you'll still be ready to combat any dinner-bell bears you may meet.

------------------
For a GREAT Business Opportunity,
and OUTSTANDING shopping experience...
EXPLORE: www.cgdevelopment.net
Referral # 779609
Password: guest
And: www.quixtar.com

Referral# 779609

Back