Mountain Lion Opportunity

Brian Bentley

I know that everybody likes the thrill of calling cats in the winter. What with the cold weather and prime fur, but I have a friend who is having problems with lions right now killing his stock. I just spoke with him and there were two in his yard last night. He hasn't tried to call them or even had an opportunity to shoot at them yet. I personally do have permission from the state to try and give him some relief, and even use a spotlight if necessary. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Brian

Brian:

I'm sure that 50 or so of us would be more than willing to come down and help you with those tabbys......ya know OJT!
wink.gif

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
one shot~one kill

Will,

In the past few weeks he has lost about 10 calves. The past three nights they are coming up to the house and grabbing chickens and geese. He has seen them on numerous occasions for the past few weeks but never when he had a firearm with him. He said that his mother ran one off last night out in the yard from about 15 feet. I came back about a half hour later but by the time he got outside it had made it to cover. He is getting pretty desperate. He says that it is a pair of them that is coming to the house but knows of atleast 6 more in the area. His exact words to me were, "We're infested them, and I don't know what to do."

Brian

Brian, Try calling them Right after dark with a spotlight and using cottontail or jack mouth calls. Make you calling loud and frantic. They have big eyes that look like headlights in the spot. If they are around, I think you will see 'em
Bob

How Far is it from Houston? and how much property is open to remove these kittys, I'd take a day or two off for a big cat.

------------------

Keep your hooks sharp and you powder dry.

wildoats

wildoats,

This particular place is only about 30,000 acres and is in southwestern Kansas. It is a long drive for me too. He is not an experienced caller. We are just trying to figure out how to get him some relief as quickly as possible. The incidents have steadily escalated in the past couple of months to a point where he is starting to panic a little. Every head of stock is money out of his pocket.

Brian

A pair of lions means one of two things.

First, one is a female and still has her oldest cub with her.

Second, Could be a tom trying to court a female in heat.

I think the farmer is dealing with a mother lion trying to teach the younger lion how to kill. If that is the case, the female and cub will stay close to the farm until the food supply as dried up.

Go get'em......
wink.gif

------------------
yotewalk.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

Brian:

My earlier post was not intended as a "funny", I was very serious about coming down to help with the "puddy tats"...see your email and let me know!

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
one shot~one kill

Find someone with some good hounds in the area. Even if they have never ran lions before they will most likely chase them. That would probably be the quickest way to take care of the problem or at least move the lions out of the area and teach them that hanging around humans leads to trouble.

I think calling them in would be the most fun way of hunting them but if this rancher keeps losing stock he probably doesn't care how you take care of the problem he just wants the thing taken care of right away. Sounds like they are getting very bold. I would hate to have small children around there right now. Hope you can help the guy out.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Lonny (edited 07-11-2001).]

Guys,

I am on the road right now. I haven't had a chance to check my email at the house. As soon as I get back I will take a look at the messages. Or you can re send the messages to my email on my laptop @ briankbentley@eaton.com . I would be happy to get back to you. It will be a much quicker response this way. Otherwise it will probably be the weekend before I can answer. Thanks for helping us out with advice. Will, I was going to try and give you a call on this one but I have misplaced your #. How are you feeling by the way? Hope you are keeping hope and prayers alive. Just to let you know, you are in my prayers regularly.

Thanks,

Brian

[This message has been edited by Brian Bentley (edited 07-12-2001).]

Back