Best upper for 1,000 yard shot in the AR-15 platform?

UtahShooter

I am sure then is more to it than just what is the best. I am looking for one for paper or steel out to that distance. No matter the cal. Of course for the AR-15 platform though.

Last edited:
The barrel is whete its at if over all accuracy is what u are after. Caliber is another story. You are gonna want something that stays trasonic to the 1,000yd line. I dont know anything about the wssm's there is a 6mmAR thats pretty stout to the 600yd line but i dont know if its got enough steam.

Originally Posted By: RiflemannIf you can hit your target at 1000 yards with an "AR-15 Platform" than you are a much better shooter than I.

i used to think like that to Riflemann.

the 6.5 grendel would be the correct choice for an ar15 platform. there are many who use it to shoot at 1000yd. 6.5 caliber bullets have great bc's. go visit 6.5grendel forum

Last edited:
The 6.5 grendel will get you out to 1000 yards. Took mine to 750 yards a coupld of days ago. Ran out of room to set targets. Taking it to 1000 here in the next week or so. It will make it. If 600 is all you are looking for then there are a lot of options.

Originally Posted By: UtahShooterCould have swore the Grendel was a good option. Am I mistaken?

No, your not mistaken the Grendel is the round your looking for. Scott at SD Hit a steel target at a 1000yds with his Grendel. I think he is using a 24in barrel, if you have any ? about it hit him up or PM me and I could find out pretty quick for you.

The 243wssm will do it easy with a 105vld at around 3000 fps. If you pick up one of olympic arms new UMAR lowers to mate it with you can even shoot them at mag length. That's what I do.
This is a 243wssm with a berger 105vld loaded to 2.42 OAL next to a grendel. Just by looking at the cartridges together you can see which is more capable.
IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_5362.jpg

Last edited:
Neck the 243WSSM to 264WSSM. End of story, starting to see more around. If you are a reloader, if your worried about 1000 yard shots you must be , its a simple prosses.

Same case capacity as the 243 wssm same bullet as the 6.5. Ive been looking into an AR upper with roughly the same performance as my 260AI and thats where I would go.

Back