My Review of the Savage Axis (.243)

Originally Posted By: dmpowderChange the spring out for a softer one! Or you can clip the coils of the stock one but cut one at a time. Just be careful if you cut your stock one because you can't put the coils back if you went to far.

I have worked mine over and have it down to 2 pounds. Some say it's easier to just buy the RB or Timney but I saved myself $100!

Where can you find a lighter spring?

I have an Axis in 270, great gun! I bought mine without the scope, and the first rings i had on it were like the ones that come on the axxis XP's, and they sucked, they wouldnt hold a zero well at all and would completely loosen of till my scope would almost fall off after like 20 rounds, even with loctite, then i got a set of weaver quad lock rings for $10 at walmart, they are excellent rings and stay tight W/O loctite, just degrease the parts before mounting. As for the trigger, I strongly recommend all axis owners do the set screw and replacement spring mod to lighten the trigger and to work out all overtravel, and do this mod i invented in the link below, it will get rid of any slop or wiggle in your trigger and noticeably break cleaner.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,45016.0.html

Originally Posted By: jhartwig24

you can get them at ace, just get one of similar OD and is a bit softer, they come about 3" long so you will have to trim it to the proper length.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KaianuanuOriginally Posted By: jhartwig24

you can get them at ace, just get one of similar OD and is a bit softer, they come about 3" long so you will have to trim it to the proper length.

I'm gonna sound really dumb here, but when you say ace, you mean at the local hardware store, or is there a Ace shooting store?

Quote:If I want the spent brass to eject from receiver, then a quick yank on bolt is needed

Thats how mine is. If you work the bolt fast it works fine.

Originally Posted By: arkmanQuote:If I want the spent brass to eject from receiver, then a quick yank on bolt is needed

Thats how mine is. If you work the bolt fast it works fine.

That is the same mine is also.

Back