My Review of the Savage Axis (.243)

new2turkey

After having my Savage Axis for a little over a month, I decided I would write a review on it.

Picture169.jpg

The things that made this rifle attractive to me were price and the camo pattern. I also liked that it came with a 3-9x40 Bushnell Sharpshooter scope mounted and laser sighted on the gun.

Picture164.jpg

Along with the scope are the mounts included in the gun... These are not the best mounts, and POI had shifted about an inch high at 100 yards. In the mounts defense, the gun got carried by the scope for a few minutes by my little brother after shooting last time.

Picture170.jpg

This gun is a shooter for sure. The trigger was very crisp, but had a HORRIBLE trigger pull. It put accuracy to 3-4 inches at 100 with cheap federals. I removed one coil from the trigger spring, bringing pull to around 3 pounds, and it shoots a LOT better. Trigger guard is also plenty big enough to allow a gloved finger.

Picture167.jpg

The safety on the rifle in my opinion is great. It is large and flat, with plenty of grip to easily move it from safe to fire.

Picture168.jpg

The come comes with a 4 round external magazine as well, which clips into the firearm. People have complained about the cheap clip (plastic U shape) but I have had no problems with it.

Picture171.jpg

Before I get into accuracy, let me tell you that I am the WORST shot with a rifle... Over the last few years I've developed a pretty bad flinch, which I've slowly been correcting. I do not own a lead sled, so these shots are all from the bipod.

These are using 100 grain federal soft points at 100 yards

Picture174.jpg

Top left group (subtract the one that is high from the group) is the group when I first fired the gun.

Picture173.jpg

Did I mention that this gun and all of its accessories were under $450?
grin.gif

Some more pictures

Picture172.jpg

Picture165.jpg

url]

If you have any questions about the rifle, shoot away.

Nick

Last edited:
I bought one in 243 a couple weeks ago. First thing I did was a trigger job to get it down to 3#s. Never shoot factory ammo anymore, with my reloades it shot worst 1" best with out the flier was .233" ave was .700" Scope and bases work but they will be getting changed shortly.

I looked at an axis myself but I didn't like it. I ended up with a Howa in .243 with the black rubberized hogue stock. Had a bushnel trophy in the closet that I threw on it and it shot 1" an under from a prone position in te bed o the pickup using my sons booster seat as a rest. The price on the gun was 340 dollars and has adjustable trigger. and maybe with a little practice your groups can shrink them savages are pretty accurate out of the box

Last edited:
D
Brownie said:
I looked at an axis myself but I didn't like it. I ended up with a Howa in .243 with the black rubberized hogue stock. Had a bushnel trophy in the closet that I threw on it and it shot 1" an under from a prone position in te bed o the pickup using my sons booster seat as a rest. The price on the gun was 340 dollars and has adjustable trigger. and maybe with a little practice your groups can shrink them savages are pretty accurate out of the box [/quote

I'm sure they will thanks]

Just a side note, this gun is FAR more accurate than I am as a shooter. After I pulled the trigger and before I got back on target I knew exactly where the bullet hit. Whether it was right / left side within the bullseye because of me pulling the shot.

i got my son one in 243 with the 20 in barrel. its a shooter for sure. he can shoot moa out to 300 yrds. and took his 1st doe this year at 189 yrds. it needs trigger help, but i want him to to have to squeeze it some. i dont want a hair trigger in the hands of a 9 year old. for the money, i think a guy could do alot worse.

Originally Posted By: skinin_bonzi got my son one in 243 with the 20 in barrel. its a shooter for sure. he can shoot moa out to 300 yrds. and took his 1st doe this year at 189 yrds. it needs trigger help, but i want him to to have to squeeze it some. i dont want a hair trigger in the hands of a 9 year old. for the money, i think a guy could do alot worse.

I'm glad you are happy with your sons as well
grin.gif

Ive got one in 223. I really like the gun but I have a problem with mine not wanting to eject spent shells.

It drops them down on top of the magazine.

I took it to a gunsmith and had a trigger job done (which made all the difference in the world) and he worked on the ejection problem but didnt fix it.

Anyone else have that problem?

I bought it used so I dont think I can send it back to Savage.

Have seen plenty of feeding/extractor problems with savages. Not so much ejection problems. Maybe try replacing the extractor........

Arkman, have same problem with ejection in my .223 Edge/Axis. If I want the spent brass to eject from receiver, then a quick yank on bolt is needed and then brass just dribbles out of receiver. Anything but a hard/quick yank will result in brass staying in receiver. I've only read of this particular problem with the .223 rifle.

What the fix is, I don't know for sure. Gent I shoot with at range suggested I remove the ejector from bolt head and widen the slot in it for the retaining pin. Told me it was something he'd done once on a Savage to solve a weak ejection problem.

I just won this gun in coyote tourney, but it i a 22-250.

I would like to know how to change the trigger pull?
Is it something I can do on my own, or something I should take it to a gunsmith for?

Everything else with the gun seems to be awesome!

Change the spring out for a softer one! Or you can clip the coils of the stock one but cut one at a time. Just be careful if you cut your stock one because you can't put the coils back if you went to far.

I have worked mine over and have it down to 2 pounds. Some say it's easier to just buy the RB or Timney but I saved myself $100!

Back