Anyone still using their 6x45's? I'm late to the party!

204 AR

Well I got an upper coming from Kag down in Kansas. I've kind of been waiting for one of these NFA uppers to pop up in the classifieds and was in the right place at the right time. Thanks Dave!

It seems the buzz has died down a lot from a couple years ago with this caliber, now with the DTI's and 243 lbc's, and the WOA's. I was wondering how many are running this caliber as their go to AR's, or if you've had one, moved on, and why.

Feel free to post up pics and groups! Also your favorite load data!

I'm still shooting the 6 x 45. I built my first one almost 20 years ago now, and still have several of them. If you don't need more horsepower, the 6 x 45 is a dandy little cartridge.

Love em! If varmints are question, the 6x45 is my answer! I have a 16" Carbine for calling and I'm gonna build another with a 20" tube to use as a second prairie dog upper when my .204 gets hot or I run out of ammo. Which ever comes first. I have used mine to kill a doe, and it performed well. But I like to carry a little more punch during rifle season for shots out to 300 yards. Kansas is a bow hunter's state. If I have any tags left during the two whole weeks of rifle season in December, I like to get venison on the ground and me out of the the blind or tree ASAP!

Still loving mine!

2011NPHAtourney002.jpg

MyARs.jpg

Bottom rifle is the 6x45.

Chupa

Just sold this NFA 6x45 upper to my buddy who had to have it!! It does lay the smack down on yotes. Didn't need the follow up shot, but when they sit back up in thick brush why take the chance. You are going to need to play with the load if you get one. Mine loved 70 & 75 gr sierra hollow points the best.
IMAG0002-1.jpg

Sold it to get a 20 practical upper. Going lighter bullet and more speed. I figured my 25/06 will do what I wanted the 6x45 to do, pigs and deer.

I would really love to pick one up as well in 18" fluted barrel. I don't reload so it kind of makes it a little difficult to justify. It seems like a great caliber, just enough for deer and plenty heft for coyotes etc..

I was gonna get one, but a 6WOA came up first. Now thinking I should have waited just due to the ease and affordability of the 6x45 round vs the 6woa cost for brass and such. I may get one yet.

Have one and love shooting it. As my brother PB it really likes the 70 and 75gr sierra hp. I have not hit anything with it but paper. Have not had any chances when carrying it. I also have one coming from WOA in 6mmWOA in the next few weeks. I like the 6x45 due to the cheapness of brass and plan on letting the youngest shoot it for deer next year.

Still my goto gun for calling. 70gn nosler BT. Have put down everyone I have shot so far. also has been remarkably fur friendly if you are concerned with that.

drscott

There isn't much a 6x45 won't shoot well. I am gonna try 100 grain round nose next year. Gonna try to make a Bad A$$ little semi auto brush gun. It outta be a excellent killer out to 200 yards.

I have one in the works myself. The big draws?

1. Better selection of heavier bullets.

2. Everything but the barrel is Identical to and interchangable with the 5.56. Well the brass isn't, but that's easily fixed.

3. To me, 6mm is clearly superior to 5.56 in every application I can think of.

4. The common sources of brass, mags, and bolts makes the cost of 6, for all intents and purposes, equal to 5.56.

Yep!
I still like my lil shorty 6x45 real well. It's just been sitting on the back burner of late, thanks to the DTI...

I also think the 6x45 is a 'better' .223. Great little cartridge, cake walk to load for and well suited for pushing

Looks like the parties still going!
thumbup1.gif

I tried to go from two down to one, but I just couldn't do it!
I really wanna suppress mine someday...

Well it's obvious that it has a pretty large following. Heck I don't even have to try to find a load, it comes with 200 rounds of it's favorite ammo loaded with Speer 70 gr TNT's! Looking forward to trying it out. Gotta figure out what I want for a scope now, thinking of trying out a 3-9x FFII E1. Seems like that might be a good balance. Probably toss the NF on it first to run it through it's paces and see how accurate it is. I also have some 85 gr GK's to make a load for, that should be a good WT load. And some 58 gr Vmax, gotta try those just because.

Try 85 g. Partitions, they have a softer tip that expands better and hold together better after initial expansion for deeper wound channels. The 85 grain gamekings are hit or miss that 6x45 speeds, if you hit bone they come part and don't penetrate as deep if you hit a soft spot they might not expand as well. I know others have killed deer with them, but the partition is a safer bet...

+1 on the partitions. I have tried many bullets on white tail over the years, but the 85 partition has always been the consistently best performer.

I love my 6x45. I just ordered a barrel to build a light weight one for the wife. Loading it is just as easy as loading the 223. Mine shoots the 85 seirra real well. Haven't used it on a deer but did shoot a small deer with the 55gr nosler bt. DRT. I will load some of the partitions to see what they will do. And want to try the 70 seirra as well. It is my favorite ar. I think it is a real winner in the AR platform

Back