Hogue Stocks

Chad,
No problem it may flex a little bit but I am not worried it is enough to hurt accuracy too much. Being fully box bedded I really think it will be fine. I am not seeing a B&C that offers a box bedded option for anything near the same price. If it needs some glass bedding to make it better then my buddy can do it, so I am not worried. Thanks for checking though.

Weird,

I see listings for Wby Vanguards, S&W 1500's and others, but not a Howa specifically. IIRC, the SA WBY Vangaurds version would fit. I mean, it is a Howa bbl/action.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI have been meaning to pick up a hogue forearm for my AR-15 for just that reason.

I just hate the shape/feel of the grip on their rifle stocks.......

2 much . I really like your posts . I was very suprised buy your posts about the Overmold .
I've had several of these stocks . The pillar bedded ones . I think the smallest rifle Ive had one on is a 338 Win Mag. I put one on my Spruce King 458 for a while . . They come stock on the Ruger 375+416 Ruger Alaskan rifles . .
They soak up recoil like a big sponge .
Ruger also puts them on their Tactical Rifles . .
I do not like the feel ov them on a big game
rifle . However . What I dont like about them

for a Close Quarters Brown Bear Combat rifle

Makes them ideal for a predator/ calling rifle stock .
They are sticky , Have a somewhat vertical grip . A fat forearm and a nice palm swell . .
They are tough . And I think they would be ideal .they have a fairly high comb so aligning the eye with most scopes is easy . Also they are kindof heavy and with the flat foreend they are well suited for adding a stud for a bipod .

Sorry about my last malformed post.

I've never owned one but my gunsmith just ordered one for my 25.06. He says they are great stocks and highly recommended them. I'm hoping they are as good as he says.

Someone asked in a previous post about the torque specs for the action screws. I did not notice them in my manual, but then again I did not look very hard. I just took my Hogue gun to the smith so he can dial down the trigger pull. I trust that he knows what he is doing.

My biggest problem with them is the grip. It is VERY open. I can not get comfortable holding one no matter how hard I try.

For a hunting rifle, I imagine they would do just fine. I have no problems with the texture. Although I'd not try to put anything larger than a standard magnum contoured barrel in one.

For a dedicated LR type rifle, I would not use one. The grip is not right, nor is the forearm any where near as stiff as the stocks that I am used to.

Carl,
I'd go handle both your buddies guns and pick each stock apart and see which one you like more. If they don't fit you very well then neither would a good choice IMO. I'd suggest saving a few more pennies and getting a B&C. Midwayusa.com has a medalist for $249 which is about $50 more than the Hogue.

Originally Posted By: CWeeksStormking,
Did you just have the pillar bedded or the full box hogue stock?

Just the pillar bedded. Can't say waht the full box would be like, but for another $50 I'd take a hard look at the B&C's.

Back