Sighting in a .22 mag at a 25 yard range

Jeff V

My new stevens 305 .22 mag should be here friday or monday. I was going to hit up the range with my 9mm and I figured since I will be there I might as well bring the .22 mag with (they allow rimfires) and sight it in there. Where should my POI be on the target to get it close at 100 yards? I assume the bullet is still "climbing" at that range so im guessing it should be around an inch low

Plugging the numbers into a ballistics program will tell you the truth. Be sure to put the actual numbers in, do not accept the defaults.

Jack

yeah I just did that says if i zero at 25 yards ill be 2" low at 100, thatll get me close enough to fine tune it quickly at 100 yards.

Originally Posted By: Jeff Vyeah I just did that says if i zero at 25 yards ill be 2" low at 100, thatll get me close enough to fine tune it quickly at 100 yards.

That's what I did with my 5 mm rem. Worked just fine.

I know in firing 30 gr vmax and 50 gr federal's that I see about a 5" difference at 100 yards with no scope adjustment.
I've got some CCI 40gr hp's and just changed scopes so I need to sight in my gun tonight. I can check the difference between 25 and 100 for you if you need it.

I should say the difference between these 2 in drop is about 5" at 100 yards.

Last edited:
I'm shooting the Hornady Vmax out of my Marlin and I needed taller rings so my bolt would clear the scope. But 2" off the bore, sighted dead on at 100 puts mine about 3/4" high at 60, and dead on at 25 yards...

Ahhh, not a smart alec really, however. If scope is mounted above bore 2-3" or so on center fire rifles, you must zero below the bull 2-3" at 25 or you may be off the paper HIGH at 100. I know everyone knows it but bullets do not rise and drop..gravity is always at work however because we launch it high with sights it eventually move belwo the line of sight,

Here is a chart from Varmint Al which may be helpful or not;

VarmintAl2012.png

Don't own a .22 mag rifle now but if I ever dump my .17 HMR's, will be BACK.

Regards,

Originally Posted By: Jeff Vif you could that be great

I'll sight in at 100 but move to 25 afterwards and see what the difference is.

I realize you probably understand this, but line of sight is always a straight line. In order to be dead on at 100 yards your line of sight will actually be below the actual bullets path about mid-way through its drop between the barrel and the hundred yard target. The line of sight crosses the path of the bullets drop in two places. Mine happens to cross at approx. 27 yards and again at 100 yards and is approx .7" below the bullets actual path between the 60-70 yard mark. I was really remarking more on the remarkably flat trajectory of the Hornady Vmax load relative to other types of 22 mag ammo, more so then quoting Varmint Al's explanation of external ballistics...

Good points. My scope is mounted on 5/16" high rings as I measured so your results may be a bit different. But I'll sight in at 25 yards for you and let you know what the result is at 100. Always good to have an excuse to shoot.

when i was at farm and fleet after I ordered the gun i got 2 boxes of win 45 grain dynapoint for $6.99 each. Figure ill try those and the maximags first. if the wins are not up to par, ill put them in the ammocan as "stock"

good enough for me, should be able to zero it, go up 5 clicks on the scope and be almost there when I get home and pop one off at 100.

thanks again man.

Back