M4

I looked at the picture thread and most of the rifles are set up for some long range shooting. How many of you have a 16" M4 and how does it shoot out to 100, 200, and 300 yards?

SDC11610.jpg

16" 6x45 SPR profile barrel, shoots .5 MOA consistently from a steady position.

The one on the far left is close to an M4. It has a HBAR
instead of the LW M4 cut barrel, and it is a mid-length gas
port upper. But it does have a 5.56 NATO chamber, which could
be a contributor to poor accuracy. With that said, the rifle
on the far left shoots 1 MOA(1.047" at 100 yard) groups at 100
and 225 yards(last target berm on my range), with good optics
and hand loads. In this picture it is set up as a CQB rifle.

The second one from the left is a 6.8 SPC, and it is capable
of .5 MOA groups. The third one from the left is a 6mm WOA,
and it is capable of .2 MOA groups. The rifle on the right is
a RRA 20" Varmint A4 upper(Wylde Chamber) on a Armalite NM
lower, and it is capable of .25 MOA groups. Just for
reference.

DSCF0032.jpg

Actually this picture is pretty dated. The far left rifle
now has a Mueller Red Dot, Magpul MBUS sights, and YHM single
rail gas block. The RRA upper/Aramlite NM lower has a CAA
adjustable stock, from the 6.8 SPC, and the 6.8 SPC has a
Magpul ACS stock. I need to get the boys out on the range
for another photo op.
blush.gif

Squeeze

I bought a Stag 2T a few years ago and it has not seen much action. Maybe 400 rounds total. It came with a M4 profile, 1-9 twist, chrome lined barrel. I love the Stag but its accuracy did not meet my expectations. I am not a huge fan of short, light barrels and especially one that isn’t very accurate so the Stag has been sitting. Monday I ordered a new standard profile Black Hole barrel from Barrels and Beyond and it looks like it will be here tomorrow. I will now have a rifle I can get some use out of. I am sure some M4 barrels shoot better than mine but there are much better barrel options if accuracy is important.

Originally Posted By: CobyI bought a Stag 2T a few years ago and it has not seen much action. Maybe 400 rounds total. It came with a M4 profile, 1-9 twist, chrome lined barrel. I love the Stag but its accuracy did not meet my expectations. I am not a huge fan of short, light barrels and especially one that isn’t very accurate so the Stag has been sitting. Monday I ordered a new standard profile Black Hole barrel from Barrels and Beyond and it looks like it will be here tomorrow. I will now have a rifle I can get some use out of. I am sure some M4 barrels shoot better than mine but there are much better barrel options if accuracy is important.

That outta help.

I've had no problems with my 16". I personally am a fan of light, short barrels. Short barrels are no less accurate than long barrels (theoretically speaking, short barrels are more accurate). They are lighter to carry, easier to maneuver, and are still good out to most practical .223/5.56 ranges.

I also have a 16" .308 AP4 for the same reasons. Great deer drive gun, although just a tad heavy when walking through marshes, and the thickest stuff known to man!
smile.gif

DSC03778-1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm hunting with a 10.5 barrel. Under 350 yards it will kill anything. 16" barrels work great, not to mention they are much lighter than the longer barrels.

Originally Posted By: wisconsinteacherI looked at the picture thread and most of the rifles are set up for some long range shooting. How many of you have a 16" M4 and how does it shoot out to 100, 200, and 300 yards?

I've got a few that are 16". I really prefer the 16" to the longer lengths. Plenty of punch at 300 for me.

I even run a 14.5" w/perm flash hider and I like it too.

Last weekend i shot my red X 16" bull at 210 lasered yds, 55gr with 21 gr 4198, out of 5 three shot groups none went over 1 1/2 inch.

Originally Posted By: MPFDSqueeze your WOA is a 16"? What bullet do you use and what are your est. speeds?

It is a 20" HBAR from WOA. For predators/varmints, I load a
68 gr. Berger. I am going to have to dig for some logged
chrony data, but IIRC it was in the 2900-3000 fps range.
When this rifle and the shooter get in the zone, and the wind
is down, it is one hole at 100 yards, and just a bigger ragged
hole at 200 yards.

Squeeze

Originally Posted By: MPFDIs it a Wilson barrel or a Krieger?

I talked at length with John about which to purchase. He
told me that some Wilsons were turning as good of groups
as some of the Kriegers, and on average maybe a couple of
tenths of MOA larger groups versus the Kriegers. This was my
first 6mm WOA barrel, and was an experiment, so I went
with the more economical Wilson. As it turned out, I got
a good one. It has turned a number of impressive groups.
If I need to trim my groups from .2-.4 MOA to .1-.2 MOA, for
competition, I would justify the cost of a Krieger barrel.

This Wilson cleans up extremely well, and collects very
little copper. It is also one of those "faster than it
should be" barrels.

Squeeze

Mine will be a Wilson too. From the looks of Kerry's review I think mine will turn out pretty well. Hopefully!

Back