E.R. SHAW BARREL

I bought one years ago and had them chamber and install it. My opinions are very negative on Shaw.

There are too many good barrels out there for Savages, I'd spend a few bucks more on them. Criterion, Lothar Walther, Shilen, etc...

My experience with Shaw runs counter to the previous poster.

I ordered a 6mm Rem. barrel for my Savage 16, which oddly
enough was a 22-250 Rem. that shot decent, but I really
wanted a 6mm Rem. Anyway, the Shaw barrel was a SS 24" Magnum
contour barrel that has surpassed my expectations. Very
accurate(sub-MOA with a number of hand loads) and cleans up
as well as any barrel I have owned. This transaction was
about 6-7 years ago. Would I buy another Shaw barrel?
I would shop around, but they would definitely be in the
running for my business.

Squeeze

Years ago Shaw barrels were pretty iffy as to how good they were but that is pretty much a thing of the past now. Three of my varmint rigs wear ER Shaw barrels such as the .223 AI in my avatar that I used to take prairie dogs out to 700 yards. My AR-15 varminter came factory equipped (Model 1) with a ER Shaw barrel on it and it loves to shoot dime size groups at 100 yards. When I decided to make me a .221 Fireball I did not think twice about buying a Shaw barrel for it.

Now then, if I were building me a $2000 varmint rig today then I would be opting for a Krieger or Hart or some other high end barrel, but dollar for dollar, I am 100% convinced that Shaws are some of the best barrels out there. I doubt that I just got lucky with the three that I have.

In all honesty, the rifle I talked about was built around 1984 or so. A standard 270 that would group about 3" @ 100 and was rough in the bore. My 700 BDL, 30-06 easily shot 1 to 1 1/2" groups all day long.
smile.gif

Try using the search function. I am pretty sure there was just a lengthy conversation on this exact issue. Just search ER SHAW

I put one on my .223 and it shoots nice tight small holes in paper so far. 1/14" twist kit from midway. I am darn happy with it.

this 308 plate gun sports an er shaw barrel....i would say its kinda hit-or-miss with a shaw. i have managed to get moa at 300 with it but it took alot of reloading to get there. although im not really that impressed, as i have said b4....you get what you pay for!

IMG_2150.jpg

ive bought 5 barrels from them and had my last one installed and chambered by them. i wont hesitate to buy again. my guns all shoot, the only factory gun i have left is my stevens 223 and when i get a stock for it itll get a 1-7 twist from them too

Im with Rustydust shooting a Model1sales varminter cromemolly.
It shoots great ~1/2moa all day long and ive shot local competitions with it. And I was just on Model1sales site looking at another upper for the AR.
DSCN1170.jpg

All of that was using a backpack full of burlap, jean jacket and a bag of rice as a rest with a nasty a$$ DPMS factory trigger. Ive gotten 4" groups at 500 yards also.

BUT if It were me I would go with a Criterion for a savage. Ive got one in 260AI on a target action and its stupid good for the money.
DSCN1176.jpg

Thats a 300 yard group and I havent even adjusted my seating depths yet.

I bought a 6x47Rem barrel from them and rechamberred it to 6mm-204 and it is a great barrel, shoots well and cleans easy. Thinking about a 222 Rem barrel from them and a 358 Win, just haven't had the time. I have a couple of Pac Nor barrels and they are top notch also,

I have a 26" Varmint Contour from them in 223 AI and was so happy with it I just ordered another yesterday to rebarrel my 243, going to ream this one out to 6mm AI. Very good company to work with and Very Very please with the product.

I bought the kit pkg from Midway USA in 7/08. Tried one load, Hornady SST 139 gr. Shoots 3/4" all day. The 22-250 barrels at Midway were 1/14 twist which I didn't like. Real pleased with 7/08. I will buy another Shaw barrel soon.

I have an E.R. Shaw barrel in 1/8" twist .243. I got it in a group buy deal for around $150. I have worked up loads with 3 different bullets that will shoot sub 1/2 moa. It shoots in the .3's and .4" groups very regularly. I will be purchasing at least one more soon...probably in .223 and in .260.

Back