Primers for reloading AR-15?

UtahShooter

Ok so what is the favorite primer for reloading AR-15's? I just picked up some Federal Match but am reading they may be to thin causing slam fires.

What are YOUR thoughts of not only this but the primer you are using and why?

I use CCI BR4s for my AR. I use CCI BRs for everything. I always end up with single didget ES.

I used Fedral 7 1/2 for my AR and was getting pressure signs as too low of pressures. I dont know why, never looked back.

CCI makes a military grade 5.56 primer, I believe it's a CCI #41. Supposed to be made for NATO 5.56 rounds and is a thick walled primer to prevent slam fires. I've been looking at using them, anyone tried them?

Is anyone getting slam fires with any primer with consistancy?

Ive shot about 1200 rounds through my AR with about 700 of them being hand loads and havent run into a problem.

I know there are others that have shot much much more, just wondering if this was more of a wives tale than a problem.

I've shot about 500 federal small rifle primers through my AR's havnt had a slam fire yet although they do get slight firing pin marks when they are chambered, I guess it doesnt bother me, if I get a slam fire I'll change my mind

Have shot about 10k rounds in AR15 with no slam fires from any primers including CCI, FED, WIN, WOLF. Only problem I have had was Wolf 223 primers not being hot enough to light BLC-2 consistently.

Originally Posted By: goose_boyCCI makes a military grade 5.56 primer, I believe it's a CCI #41. Supposed to be made for NATO 5.56 rounds and is a thick walled primer to prevent slam fires. I've been looking at using them, anyone tried them?

As near as I could find out, they're just CCI 450's in a different box.

Mag primer and the cup thickness is the same as the 450.

Primers getting fully seated is more important than what primer you use. Iv been using winchesters. a few rounds have been chambered close to 10 times.

Fired many thousands in my AR's. Never a slam fire. Not saying it's not possible, but highly unlikely. I like the WOLF primers. Cups are hard so seat well.

Tom

About 20 years ago I had a M14 slam fire 17 rounds. Had a smith look at the rifle and ammo he could not tell me why it did it. I was lucky,I was shooting prone with a sling.

I have run remington 7 1/2's in my 223ar's for the last few years and have had no problems. I also run the winchester large rifle in my r25 and have had no problems with it.

Just wondering about those #41s, I have never had a problem myself and I know it is SUPER rare, but I'm working up new load for it so if it performs as well as the rest and could POSSIBLY help prevent an AD for the same money then I figured I might as well. If they are indeed the same as a 450 I'll just use those though, easier to get ahold of.

Originally Posted By: PLOTTHOUNDAbout 20 years ago I had a M14 slam fire 17 rounds. Had a smith look at the rifle and ammo he could not tell me why it did it. I was lucky,I was shooting prone with a sling.

WHAT A RIDE!!!!!!!

Back