Hogue Stocks

CWeeks

Anyone have opinions for or against their over molded stocks? I want to put one on my Howa 1500 sporter .308 to make it a long range shooter. I have been looking at the Bell and Carlson Stocks but they are much more costly but seem to offer nothing more in quality. The Hogue offers a full box moolded stock for $200 on optics planet. Thanks all!

I have the FN TSR in .223 with the over-molded Hogue stock. I like it and would consider another gun with the same feature.

The only downside that I can see is that they caution you about removing the action from the stock. Apparently, putting the action back in the wrong way will deteriorate the accuracy. From talking to my smith, it is a function of getting the right torque on the action screws and not bending the aluminum bedding block.

Ok this is great info to have. In there cautioning do they tell you the torque lbs of pressure to stay within or anything like that?

I've been researching these because the gun I'm looking at comes with the hogue pillar bedded stock, they complain that this stock the forend will touch the barrel if any pressure is put on it, the one your looking at is supposed to have solved that problem with the full aluminum bedding block, but I would still check to make sure there is no contact between the barrel and front of the stock. If any, you can resolve with a little grinding on the front of the stock. I like the feel of the hogue stock, I will most likely install one of the fully bedded on my new rifle, alot of people will try and steer you away and say there are better options, but for the money and the feel of the hogue, I don't think you can go wrong.

The B&Cs are close to the same price, and much better stocks IMO. More rigid, and come in better flavors.

That said, I absolutely HATE the ergos of the grip on Hogue stocks and cannot see how they feel good to anyone. They certainly do not lend themselves to LR shooting, IMO.

I would shoulder a Hogue before you spend money on one. My vote is for the B&C.......

The nicest thing about the Hogue over-molded stocks is that your hands never seem to get cold holding onto them no matter how cold it is. They are nice stocks.

I have been meaning to pick up a hogue forearm for my AR-15 for just that reason.

I just hate the shape/feel of the grip on their rifle stocks.......

Quote:Anyone have opinions for or against their over molded stocks?

Carl,
I have two and love them.I have one pillar bedded and one with the full length block.

The grip feels good to me. I did get a stock pack with a cheek pad to improve the cheek weld on each.

Last edited:
cornstalker,
Do you notice a difference in accuracy between the two having one of them pillar bedded and the other the stock full bedded block? I know this was a suggestion of a gun smith friend of mine you has 12 years sniper experience for the military and still does long range shoots, so I wanted to look at it. He has a hogue full bedded and a B&C on different long range .308's and he likes them the same but for different reasons. He loves the feel of the hogue better and for a 1K gun he thinks both can get that done. But hearing more than one persons opinion is a good thing in most cases. If you notice a significant difference in accuracy with the bedded stock I could go that way also, as my buddy can do that in his shop.

In my case the pillar bedded one is more accurate, but it's not really apples to apples. The pillar bedded one is also bedded with Devcon. The rifle has had the lugs lapped and the barrel lapped, as well as a trigger job.

On the rifle with the full length block, nothing other than a trigger job has been done. I suspect it could benefit from a glass bed of sorts, be it skim or whatever.

If I had to pick one of the two I would get the full length block and glass it.

I am personally quite fond of the Hogue stocks and would recommend them, though you probably had better shoulder one and see how it feels to you. The grip is unique, and I love it, but if you have huge hands it may not feel so great....

I vastly prefer the overmolded feel to the slick hard plastic feel in the field. It's very noticeable when it's cold and wet.

Last edited:
Thanks gentlemen for the input. This will be a long range shooter not a hunting weapon for the most part so weight does not concern me to much. It has weighed nearly 16 lbs for 9 years so no big deal. I do plan to drop a trigger in it also in the next few month but the one it has has been worked on and is about 2.5 lbs and breaks nice.

For a long range, non hunter, the hogue would not even be on the list. A BC, HS, or better would be the start. The thing just flexes too much.

The one with the full length block does not flex at all.

I do agree that a B&C Medalist would be a nice stock. I haven't ever used an HS stock, but would expect it to be better than both the B&C and the Hogue.

Last edited:
I should specify I will be shooting whistle pigs out to probably 500 yards, and targets out to hopefully 1K. It will not be a competition gun just for my own gratification to hit some longer targets is all. But it will not be a carry around the mountains hunting gun.

I just removed a Houge pillar stock from a .308 SPS Tactical. Shot pretty darn good from that stock, but all the stories are true. LOTSA flex! Shop around and you can find a B&C Medalist for around $250. That's what mine is setting in now.

I'd agree w/ 2Much, the grip angle (for me) was ackward/uncomfortable. Love the feel of the overmold, but as a whole it was a marginal improvement from Remington's standard tupperware.

I do love the "over mold" feel. An I am keeping that stock on it because it's a hunting rig. And I only shoot 300 yds max as a rule. Over that, it's not my style of hunting.

Carl,

I got to second guessing myself, so when I got home I dug out the Hogue with the full block. You can indeed squeeze it over enough to touch the barrel. It's not super easy, but I made an erroneous statement earlier when I said it had no flex.

It does have some flex, but I don't currently have a Medalist to compare it to.

Sorry about the mis-info.

Chad

Last edited:
Back