Cat prices

There were about 35 cats. The thing is that the auction's that are going on arent changing the prices, usually they do. Top's are still down by $400 this compared to last year. I sold 3 cats today and averaged $350, but I only got $175 for a narrow bellied tom that was kind of redish in color. I would almost bet my money that the cat prices arent gonna go much higher than 500 for top lots.

I sold mine today but remember these are central Texas bobcats and they were more females than big males and they averaged out at 93.00 dollars and the last 3 I shot last week were not skinned so that knocked the average down too.

This is the primary market for lynx and lynx cats which are used for trimming, mostly on black mink coats. Wholesalers believe that the most expensive lynx cats may need a slight reduction in price.

I copied this from the nafa web site.

It really didnt matter to me I only trapped cats for 4 weeks. I guess it will mean more cats next year.

The western cats bring lots of money, but one thing that many people don't consider is how many trapline miles are put on vehicles catching those high-dollar cats.

I keep a record of mileage every day for tax purposes. I know exactly how many miles I went and the fuel and other expenses I have. So far my coyotes and other fur has paid for my expenses with about 200 left.

Exactly, Dusty. My point is that you guys put in LOTS of miles and effort and darn sure don't get rich doing it in spite of the high prices paid for the fur. Vehicles take a pretty good beating also. For those who just see the dollar signs, there is A LOT behind getting your hands on the high-dollar fur out west.

I tore up a 07 dodge my first 2 yrs doing it and didn't catch much. My wife was not impresseed at all!!!!:) Now I have a different truck and all is working farely well. I sell my coyotes as I go along to help off-set the cost of repairs and equipment. This is by far my best cat year and by far the most money I have put out. I'm not gonna jinx myself by saying how many I have right now but I will post a pic with them and the sale results in March.

Originally Posted By: sbhooperExactly, Dusty. My point is that you guys put in LOTS of miles and effort and darn sure don't get rich doing it in spite of the high prices paid for the fur. Vehicles take a pretty good beating also. For those who just see the dollar signs, there is A LOT behind getting your hands on the high-dollar fur out west.

That is one thing that sucks about trapping cats, but I have learned in the past that a guy has to find those pockets of cats and that sure helps.

Good deal. Right now I have 13 so I hope this sale on the 16th holds that trend. Everything I hear tells me that cat numbers are down and it's gonna be a sellers market.
Good job on those cats!!

Originally Posted By: mulepackerPetska Fur was in Sheridan last Friday, I sold all my coon
at $10 each, asked him what bobcats were bringing and he
said 2-500 but that it was early yet.

Petska is the buyer down here too. It's funny how prices change with the same buyer based on region. They typically pay anywhere from 50 to a high of 200 for cats down here. One has to wonder if there is really that much difference in fur quality. I sold two this year and averaged 125. Which is why I am learning to properly put up the hides so I can just send them to the auction myself.

"If you're lucky enough to live in Wyoming, you're lucky enough"

I won't deal with Petska on my cats. Let him look at em last month and he low balled everyone of em. Tried to get me to stretch a cats belly to 10". White to white. Tried to tell me that my cats were mainly C's. I've never caught a C out of this country. Just my opinion.

Back