How did I do?

jmcwilliams

Let me start off by saying that Im not (or wasnt) an AR enthusiest. However, ive always wanted one, so I decided to set one up for some coyote killing. I did some research on decent brands and decided what I wanted in a varmint rifle. In my area, 90% of the shots will be 200 yds and under, so I wasnt too worried about super long range precision. I also wanted to save on some weight because I do a lot of walking to get to some of my spots. So I decided to go with a carbine set up. I think I did ok for what I wanted, but Id like some of your expert opinions on it and any changes or add ons that you would suggest. He it is...

ar.jpg

DPMS Heavy Upper 16" 1:9 twiat, Rock River lower with a Timney trigger 3.5 pounds, Magpul ACS stock, Troy quad rail forend, Harris bi-pod, Leupold 3-9x40 scope.

This is my 50 yard group with cheap PMC ammo to get it sighted in. Ill play with some better ammo and dial it in. I did center punch a water jug at 196 yds after I sighted it in with the same ammo, so its ready to hunt how it is IMO, but my OCD wont let me stop until its perfect.
smile.gif

group.jpg

Looks like its works just fine for you so far. The nice thing about Ars is when you get bored with what you got or see something else you need you can add it or change it yourself. Nice looking set up. Should do its job on dogs just fine.

Looks real good to me. The only thing I would change would be a burris pepr mount. I like the scope a little more forward so I can get at the charging handle more easily. Very nice set up you have there.

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerSpend $20 on a pachmar grip and you will be glad you did. Makes a big difference.

yep, get a new grip. Magpul MOE+ is another nice one, they upgraded from all plastic to a rubbery grip.
Also, I can't tell by the pic, but if you don't have a tac-latch, get one. Only way to go if you have optics.

I forgot to add, but it does have a tac-latch by Badger ordnance. I will look into a new pistol grip.

Something I am thinking about is a green laser illuminator. Do any of you have any experiences with them?

Meh, cute toy, that's about it. You'll end up concentrating on that stupid little dancing dot instead of the important stuff. You can only see it well in low-no light short range conditions anyway.

I like your setup, but if you are going to use it mainly calling I would remove the harris off it and go with shooting sticks. It would make it even lighter and those harris bipods are a bit on the heavy side and have a tendancy to dig in my shoulder when hiking around with one on the gun. Just an opinion.

The laser illuminator that I was talking about isnt a dot like the laser grips on a handgun. This is like a laser spotlight kind of. It is about the size of a basketball at 100 yards I think. It illuminates the whole target in the scope. Almost looks like night vision. From what Ive seen, it looks great for night hunting, but I havent talked to anyone who has actually used one. Ill see if I can find a link to what I am talking about.

I thought about removing the harris becaue it got in the way when I was shooting off hand at first. But when I put the quad rail hand guard on, I had to use an adapter. The adapter made it give me enough room to get my hand in there comfortably. I think youre right about the shooting sticks though. Chances are, Im going to be sitting or kneeling when I shoot anyway. The bipod is really only effective if I am prone.

I forgot the rings. They are Weaver 1" xx-high 6 hole tactical.

Originally Posted By: Chris PhillipsWhat did the build cost you, if you don't mind my asking?

Ill have to dig up all the recipts to know for sure, but I think im around $1400 into it right now. Its amazing how fast this stuff adds up.

I should add that I bought the upper and lower "used" for $700. They had 20 rounds fired when I bought it.

Well Sir,

I am an AR enthusiast, for a long time. I am also, admittedly, an AR snob. I like very nice AR's.

I like yours very much. I think you did a splendid job.

Al

Last edited:
Back