Savage or Remington

Both good rifles makers and it really is a matter of personal choice. I have Rem 700 SPS and 4 Savages...110, 11, 340 and 93. My personal favorite of the two is Savage but I won't dis Remington. I've hunted for 50 years and every Savage I've shot has been very accurate out of the box with factory or reloads, has had a good trigger, and has been very reliable. I love the tang safety on the centerfires as well. My opinion on changing barrels...PITA. Go T/C Encore or the new Dimension if you want to easily and quickly swap barrels on the same action.

Jack Belk (Mr. star witness/gunsmith)said under oath, on camera, that he has never been able to induce a misfire from a 700 trigger. It's all on tape. Check it out.........

The last three Remington Rifles I bought ether needed to be sent back(Right from the box)for something they should have found if they had just test fired it before they boxed it. Or The Remy 700 I bought in .223 that I spent a year tryin to get it to stay in a 8" target at 100yds. Then I sold it and got a Stevens 200,.75@100yds out of box.
I used to be a Reminton Whore!!! But now Im proud to be a Savage Slut!!!
smile.gif

Remington or Savage, flip a coin, either one will work fine, but I'd opt for the savage, for various reasons, based on having owned at least a couple dozen remingtons and 4 or 5 savage centerfire bolt guns.

Of my last 3 Remmys, all shoot extremely well.

Of my last 3 Savages, 1 tackdriver and 2 so-so.

1 Remmy had a bad extractor. They sent me one for free. One Savage would not feed from the mag well worth a crap when cycling in a second round after firing. Not the first Savage I have seen do that. I was able to get it to feed somewhat acceptably, but never what I would call very good.

Both make a decent hunting rifle. Both Made in USA, and I like that........

I've held out of this one as long as I could.

I own 3 Remington rifles currently. Owned 4 until a few weeks ago.
Never had any safety issues with them and all shot/shoot well.

Having said that, I also owned/own Savage, Tikka and Cz rifles.
Just over the past few years I've noticed that while my Remington's shot well, it was a bit harder to find the "magic load"..once you do they do fine but...my tikka, savages, and CZs shot EVERY load I ever put them through extremely well.

I doubt a lot of people here have owned all of them. I do a lot of selling and trading and this is what has passed through my hands in the last year or so and i feel I'm very qualified to say that...Remington just don't get it done. Sure they shoot, but you gotta out the time in to find what it likes. My other rifles digested most everything fine. Factory and handload.

Most ...notice I said most. Not all. Most of the people here that put down the other rifles have not own them. And I know for fact some of them haven't. Excluding 2mg

i owned several remmys in my time and i must say that the older models shot great,but the last 10-15 years remington rifles fell off in the quality and accuracy dept. i dont know exactly what happened but it happened. i owned a sps 204 2 years ago and couldn't get it to shoot under 2 inches @ 100 with any load and combo i fed it. spent hundreds of dollars trying to get it to shoot but no luck. check this thread out and you will see why i like savage.
linky

Good post Gary. All we can do is tell of our experiences and go from there. Like you, as I hinted at earlier, I know some around either haven't had one at all, or base their experiences off of owning 1 single rifle of a certain brand. We all know that Remington and Savage BOTH are capable of putting out some fine shooting rifles. I know, I've owned them. I've also owned some fine shooting Howas, Cz, Sako, etc....

As far as digesting whatever ammo you feed them, I guess I can't really comment so much on that these days, as I rarely buy factory ammo any more. I still have a fair amount of it on hand, but it is bought sporadically. Just about every new gun I get, starts out with, and ends up with, handloaded ammunition. And that may be where I differ from some around here. Others may not handload at all, go out and buy pricey factory ammo, and get frustrated after the first load or 2, or even 3, do not shoot well. I have owned a LOT of rifles, and the ones that seem to shoot just about everything well are few and far between IMO. "Well" and "good enough" not being the same thing...........

Well I can't say anything bad about Savage cause I have never owned or shoot one. I can say that out of the 4 Remington 700's that I own, all have been great shooters out of the box. The only thing I had changed was taking the triggers on all 4 down to 2.5lbs.----Riflemann

Both savage and Remmy have the ability to be real accurate rifles. I would agree that the Remmys of yester year are a far better remmy that the ones today. I had a remington model 700 SPS in 204 that shot certain loads incredibly well. I had to look for them though. I own three savage rifles. 22-250, 7mm-08, and 223. It has been my experience that they just shoot what ever you put down the barrel very well. I opt for savage, but remingtons will shoot well too.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgun

If Savage could make an action that weren't so hard to look at, they might have something. Until then, they will be considered nothing more than utilitarian.........

I would take a rifle that is ugly and shoots great, over a rifle that looks pretty but can't shoot a group to save it's own life everyday of the week!

I love these types of threads!
lol.gif

Again buy what fits YOU the best and forget what all the Remmy fans internet experts say!
tt2.gif

I'm actually getting ready to head to the range. Taking a new one. M700 CDL .243. Shooting factory today...haven't started loading for this particular gun yet. But I have a couple different boxes to try. We will see how she does.

Years ago when I was much younger. One of the guys in the group of us that hung around together, so-to-speak, had that attitude with women.

He didn't care what they looked like, as long as they had the correct parts and said "OK". The rest of us were more picky, but he definitely got more action.
laugh.gif

Many call a rifle a tool. Like a Car or truck, or perhaps a house. Some people like tools that look nice too.

I don't understand all the vitriol towards certain rifles. Get what you like, it's America, and we can still do that for now.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiYears ago when I was much younger. One of the guys in the group of us that hung around together, so-to-speak, had that attitude with women.

He didn't care what they looked like, as long as they had the correct parts and said "OK". The rest of us were more picky, but he definitely got more action.
laugh.gif

Many call a rifle a tool. Like a Car or truck, or perhaps a house. Some people like tools that look nice too.

I don't understand all the vitriol towards certain rifles. Get what you like, it's America, and we can still do that for now.
smile.gif

Good post Dan!

Everyone's tastes are different.
Me,,,, I like pretty girls and rifles like Cooper, Sako, Kimber, and even CZ (although the safety boggels some).
Others like "Tools" like My X Wife, Savage, new Remmy's, and Tika's.
Truth is, they all shoot better than most of us can so who gives a rip what the next guy does?
To each his own.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dmpowderI would take a rifle that is ugly and shoots great, over a rifle that looks pretty but can't shoot a group to save it's own life everyday of the week!

Yes, but how about and rifle that shoots great AND looks great. Remington catalog is full of them. Savage catalog, not so much
tongue.gif
grin.gif

Truth is, either rifle will get it done in the field.

If it shoots good and you like it, that is all that matters. Now where did I hear that before??

I would like to see Ole Rem ditch that gravel blasted finish on the SPS models. The blued model are just smoother and nicer all around, IMO.

And, would really like to see better synthetic stocks than the crummy tupperware stock on most of the brands out there including Savage.

Back