280 Remington overkill for Coyote hunting?

tecumseh

A few of us are going over to where we deer hunt at to coyote hunt and I'm letting one of the guys use my 22-250 since he doesn't have a rifle to hunt them with and decided to use my 280 Remington with a 140gr Nosler Ballistic tip and wondered if this would be overkill on a coyote? I'm guessing the bullet would pass right through one without opening?

I think it would open up, cause major damage & then might pass threw depending on the location of the shot. It will kill the coyote dead, I'm sure of that! I'd use it. Like my taxidermist says about really killing a critter dead, "the idea is to, well, kill them, right!?"

No such thing as over-killing a coyote unless you are keeping them or the fur.

Heck, sometimes I prop them up and shoot them several times just to test different loads/calibers. Cheeper that balistic jell.

I agree no such thing as overkill, although I bet you will see some very nice holes and alot of splatter effect. Use what you have and HUNT bottom line. HAPPY HUNTING

What Kevin2 said. You are going to blow a big hole in it but who cares unless you want to save the hide for something.

Shoot'em with whatever makes'em dead!!! No matter the caliber,... unless your keeping the furs!!!

(also check your regs for caliber restrictions!!!!)

Cdn1

Lot's of guys hunt with large calibers. One of my partners shoots a 7mm Mag because he hates one running off and on the rare occasion he doesn't get a good shot they still don't run off. I know a few guys that hunt with more common smaller calibers except in contests where they use large calibers for the same reason, DRT (dead right there) yotes, and maybe a bit of weight reduction factor for little dog.

I don't think you will have as large an exit as people are assuming. The Nosler 140 grain BT is listed as a hunting ballistic tip thus has a thicker jacket than a true varmint bullet. I am guessing quarter or half-dollar size unless you hit bone.

Thanks everyone! We're not worried about saving hides, we found a couple of fawns that were killed and half eaten by yotes back in November! So we're going to try and rid the area of a few of em.

I've shot a bunch of coyotes with a 7mm rem mag and 140 gr ballistic tips while deer hunting. It generally makes a pretty good mess of them. I've always just shot them in the shoulder since I've never cared about pelts, I was just shooting them to rid my deer hunting area of them. If you hit shoulder bone look for most of the front half of the yote to be gone. It does make them real dead real quick though. I've switched to 140 gr. accubonds in my 7mm rem mag for deer hunting and I've shot a couple of coyotes with them, less explosive but same DRT effect.

I was thinking of trying to work up some loads with light varmint bullets for both my .280 Rem and 7x57.I figure spending more time shooting my deer guns can only help.

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.I was thinking of trying to work up some loads with light varmint bullets for both my .280 Rem and 7x57.I figure spending more time shooting my deer guns can only help.

I'd use the same loads as you use for deer so that your trajectory and accuracy will be the same. If you use a different load, it's really not your "deer gun" anymore.

I use my .280 on coyotes sometimes for exactly that purpose- more field time with my big game rifle. I use the same bullets I use for big game- 160 gr Accubond.

Can a Coyote be over dead? Nope! So make sure you post some pics!
thumbup.gif

Back