RCBS Trim Pro (2!) feedback

goose_boy

Anyone gotten the new trim pro 2 yet? I was getting ready to buy a power trim pro but the new one just came out so I'm waiting to see if the new one is better, worse or what. No more shell holders I hear, but does it hold the shell well and does it cut square and consistent?

I saw the trim pro 2 at the Shot Show and played with it a bit. Unless you are sizing small numbers of lots of different types of cases, I fail to see the advantage, especially for the price. You will still have the set up time to get your case length right and the easiest thing to do on a trim pro is swap out the shell holder (about a 15 second task).

The trim pro 2 will hold the shell solid and square, but it takes a little finger pressure to put the shell in. I would think that would get tiring after a bit.

As to the power unit, I thought about that myself but they want some decent $$$ for that set up. I found that my Makita 18 Volt cordless has a 1/2 inch chuck so I removed the handle from the trim pro and chucked the shaft into the drill. The battery end of the drill rests on top of my loading bench and I work the drill trigger with my left thumb. That systems works very well. And I can still use my Makita and Lee lock stud and cutter for the few .270 and 300 WM I load.

After I got the three way trimmer, which was well worth the $50.00 I paid, I can size, debur and chamfer 10 or more .223 cases per minute. The same with 22-250.

i had the original trim pro and thought it was the cats meow for a long time. they take up alot of room on the bench. i have since sold it and went back to a manual wilson/sinclair one.

35WD - I've been toying with both ways myself. I've been using my Dewalt 18v with the Lee cutter right now but I am going to trim about 3-5k of 223 brass in the near future and my fingers hate the chucking up the case in the shellholder over and over! Also don't like the wear and tear on my nice Dewalt. Thought about getting a cheaper corded drill to use for it, but I just can't imagine the weight of that drill hanging on the cutting mandrel can be good for wear and tolerances after awhile. I don't know what I want to do! But I do know I'd take the Trim pro 1 over the 2 now. Thanks

A couple years ago I was given some reloading equipment that had belonged to an old hunting friend who passed away. He was about 90 when he passed and had been reloading for decades.

One of the items I was given was an old RCBS trimmer. I don't know how old exactly, but it doesn't require any kind of shellholder. It has a universal holder built in and it works great. I've used it for everything from 204 to 300 WSM. It works basically like the Trim Pro, but takes up much less room on the bench. It does require a caliber specific pilot, like the Trim Pro.

Once I got it I quit using the Trim Pro. Never could figure out why RCBS switched to the shell holder plates.

280fan

One of the items I was given was an old RCBS trimmer

Any pics ? I like seeing some vintage reloading equipement..

Here's a couple pics. I know it looks like crap, but it works fine. I found it in a drawer under his bench out in the barn.

I don't know how old it is. May not be all that old, but I've never seen another one.

The "T" handle backs out about 1/2 turn to accept the case, then retightens with another 1/2 turn in. The universal holder in the second pic, which you can't see very good, has grasped every different caliber I've ever tried in it. Another interesting thing is looking at the price tags on some of the stuff. Like one of those RCBS chamfer and deburr tools with a price tag of $3.50 on the box, or a box of 100 Hornady .243 70 gr spire points for $5.45.

rcbs.jpg

rcbs2.jpg

Originally Posted By: 280fan Here's a couple pics. I know it looks like crap, but it works fine. I found it in a drawer under his bench out in the barn.

I don't know how old it is. May not be all that old, but I've never seen another one.

The "T" handle backs out about 1/2 turn to accept the case, then retightens with another 1/2 turn in. The universal holder in the second pic, which you can't see very good, has grasped every different caliber I've ever tried in it. Another interesting thing is looking at the price tags on some of the stuff. Like one of those RCBS chamfer and deburr tools with a price tag of $3.50 on the box, or a box of 100 Hornady .243 70 gr spire points for $5.45.

rcbs.jpg

rcbs2.jpg

That its the original trim pro. I have two of those and a bunch of spare parts.....ebay sweet deals. I also have a Trim pro 2. No collets, it uses a clamping handle and a sets of different plates you use depending on basic case size. Much faster and more accurate than the original. I just use a rechargable drill for a power unit. Its faster and cheaper.

Man you guys just keep me guessing! SKB what do you mean by more accurate? I think the Trim Pro you're talking about is the updated Trim Pro that uses shell holders. The brand new Trim Pro 2 uses a universal shell holder, from what I understand something similar to their priming tools but I haven't seen one in person. I found a smoking deal on a TP power unit for 250, cheapest I can find is 270. And it's local.. Might have to pull the trigger!

goose_boy,
Thought I'd throw this out for you consideration. Don't know if you are looking for a particular brand or feature, but I'm into Precision reloading and don't hunt anymore. Age caught up to me. But a year or so ago, I bought a Redding 2400 Precision Mic Trimmer and haven't looked back since. There's none of the foolishness you mentioned to worry about and they are available at all major suppliers. Midway has them on sale right now for $139.99, but I've seen them for less. The mic feature is so nice for consistency in trimming. Just something to consider.

I just clamp a 1/2" adjustable drill on the spindle and there is my power trimmer. I can trim brass, one every 6 seconds.

Mine is a Trip Pro II with the lever...slick as a hounds tooth!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: goose_boyMan you guys just keep me guessing! SKB what do you mean by more accurate? I think the Trim Pro you're talking about is the updated Trim Pro that uses shell holders. The brand new Trim Pro 2 uses a universal shell holder, from what I understand something similar to their priming tools but I haven't seen one in person. I found a smoking deal on a TP power unit for 250, cheapest I can find is 270. And it's local.. Might have to pull the trigger!

I have the two of the old Trim pro that take the collets and a new one Trim pro II that takes the shell plates. The new one gives each case a solid stop at the back end. This makes it more accurate than the old style collet type that relies on the case rim diameter to determine stopping point.

Shynloco - I really would like to get something that can be powered since I will be processing thousands of .223 brass. I will probably keep my "fast" trimmer set up for .223 with a 3 way cutter head to eliminate chamfering and deburring. For my 22-250 my Lee cutter is working for the moment but eventually if I get other calibers I'll pick up something like the Redding it seems to be a good unit.

SKB - Are you talking the brand new one with the universal shell holder? I think I've only seen 1 place that has them, everyone else says they're expecting them in at the end of February. It kind of sounds like you're talking the current Trim Pro that uses different collets for different calibers.

Oh and I'm a hunter but love to target shoot and see how much accuracy I can wring out of a rifle, also want to get into long range shooting as well. So I guess it's fair to say I'm a hunter, plinker, and precision shooter. Yea, my bank account reflects this!

Originally Posted By: goose_boyShynloco - I really would like to get something that can be powered since I will be processing thousands of .223 brass. I will probably keep my "fast" trimmer set up for .223 with a 3 way cutter head to eliminate chamfering and deburring. For my 22-250 my Lee cutter is working for the moment but eventually if I get other calibers I'll pick up something like the Redding it seems to be a good unit.

SKB - Are you talking the brand new one with the universal shell holder? I think I've only seen 1 place that has them, everyone else says they're expecting them in at the end of February. It kind of sounds like you're talking the current Trim Pro that uses different collets for different calibers.

Oh and I'm a hunter but love to target shoot and see how much accuracy I can wring out of a rifle, also want to get into long range shooting as well. So I guess it's fair to say I'm a hunter, plinker, and precision shooter. Yea, my bank account reflects this!
Ill post a picture if that help ya.

Back