NEW Shotgun Pattern Test Results - Detail & Pic' heavy...

My answer is in response to Dirty Dogs post. Regarding your situation, nobody can tell you to get XYZ choke in .xxx" constriction and you are set. It just doesn't work that way. What works in someone else's gun may not shoot well at all in your bore. You have to do some of this work on your own in your particular gun. Buy a quality choke with a constriction of from .050" - .065" from your particular bore size and hit the range with a variety of predator specific loads. That is a ballpark figure and should get you close. If I were in your shoes I'd look at constrictions from about .665" - .680" for your Remington bore.

Dirty Dog,
I am betting that the Kicks "Howler" is nothing but a Kicks "Buck Kicker" under another name. The Howler L is likely a little tighter. My Buck Kicker is .690, which would get me by, but their .680 Gobbling Thunder is even better. People like me are always searching for perfection. I found a Briley tube which is marked "Heavy shot Turkey". My dial caliper says the Briley is a .673, and I plan to try it out soon.I also ordered up a Wad Wizard "Supreme" which is their medium to long range model. If I don't like that one, they will refund my money. Stay tuned.
smile.gif

I didn't see a Gobbling Thunder in .680 on the Kicks web site, which is why I just ordered the Howler a few weeks ago.
For the Remington 12g they only offer the Gobbling Thunder in:

Is the .680 a custom order?

Hey ya Dirty Dog,

You are correct about Gobbling Thunder tube sizes for your Remington. What seems strange to me is that my Beretta with .732 bore is fitted with a .680 Gobbling Thunder. Your Remington is only .002 smaller in nominal bore diameter, but Kicks jumps to .670 for your gun. A .010 choke jump for a .002 difference in bore I.D.?
crazy.gif

I need to tell you that the choke tube companies (Kicks Included) are playing it safe. They don't recommend shooting hevi shot through their .680 either, but I do it anyway. Call em on the phone and ask what bore diameter the Howler H, and the Howler L are. I am betting that the Howler L is tighter.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGMy Rem 870 Kicks Howler H is .700" exactly.
----------------------------------
Wow! I'm sure that you will kill some coyotes with the .700, but you can do better. I'm also sure that they would exchange your howler H for something a little tighter. Their Buck Kicker X-Full maybe? I,m gonna go check their site to see what they offer for Remington.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGYeah I was suprised the Howler is so wide!

My $15 Carlson's modified choke is .710".
---------------------
Yes, Carlson either makes em too large or too small.

ok i just got a mossberg 935 added a kicks howler choke & winchester superx 3.5" #4 buck

2012-02-03_15-07-25_522.jpg
1st shot is at 50 yds, as you can see my gun patterens hig about 14-16" i need to get a different sight to be able to make the adjustments

2012-02-03_15-06-54_514.jpg

this is the same set up @ 30 yds

what you guys think? i think if i can get it zero'd in it should be a 50 maybe 60 yd gun (didnt try at 60 yet)

Get the point of aim and point of impact issue worked out and you probably have a 50 yard gun. I would not consider stretching it to 60 yards. An extra ten yards can wreck a pattern, they can simply fall apart at those distances.

Rest... just like sighting in a rifle. Trying to eliminate the human factor this is a test of barrel, choke and load, not the shooters ability.

Originally Posted By: GCRest... just like sighting in a rifle. Trying to eliminate the human factor this is a test of barrel, choke and load, not the shooters ability.

Perfect... Thanks

Originally Posted By: GCRest... just like sighting in a rifle. Trying to eliminate the human factor this is a test of barrel, choke and load, not the shooters ability.

Have you ever used a bipod with a shotgun? I don't own a fancy rest... yet. I have a Harris bipod benchrest height and can come up with some sandbags for the stock. On my backyard shooting table, I use my toolbox with a jacket over it sometimes. I also have some shooting sticks, but don't like them much.

Originally Posted By: zlaj3737Thanks for the pattern tests!! Its a wonder I hit my coyote at 65+ considering that shot hits high at 50 I have done more tests since I got drilled about it, and got my panties in a wad and my tests proved that you can deliver a fatal blow at 70 yards! Once again how do I post pics on here?
-------------------------------------------------
I would love to see an honest 70 yard pattern. E mail me a photo of your 70 yard pattern and I will post it here for you.
cronkcalls@cox.net

Back