What one 7mm-08 or 300 win mag help

Quote:Back east where distances are shorter the 7-08 is ok.. Out here most people shoot big magnums because the country is quite a bit more open..

Before I went to WY this past speed goat season, I was worried about closing the distance to 400 and under for a shot. After my WY antelope trip with three of us shooting three bucks (two at 208yds with a 7mm-08 and 25-06 and one at 125yds with a smoke pole and all on public land), I have no problems using a a 7mm-08 for elk and under. That is unless I wanted to intentionaly shoot something that size at a very long range.

Your country is big out there, but the buttes, draws, and hilly terrain that comes with that big country really helps with closing the distance.

I got nothing against the magnums, I just think that people forget that the 308 and 30-06 parent cases offer chamberings that are more than capable of taking big game at less than extreme distances.

I dont really understand the question I guess. Why must we choose one rifle from these two calibers? I like the 7mm-08 quite a bit, but if I had moose and elk on the menu, I would lean toward the .300 WM.

I like the 7mm bullet the best. If I had to choose one rifle to be versatile, I would choose the 7mm Rem Mag. I am considering the build of a short and light 7mm WSM.

Apples and oranges. Night and day. One will not take the place of the other. Sure you can kill anything with a 300 that you can kill with a 7-08 but at a vast increase in cost on your shoulder, hearing, and wallet...

I shot a moose with the 7-08 I shot in the lungs with a nosler partion. I put two in the lungs and the lungs were tore up not much left of them. Lot less recoil.

Back