.270 win. TTSX

carnyman

Im looking for loads using ImR4831, H4831, and RL22 for the barnes TTSX 130gr 270win. Is anyone using this bullet? Like it?

What you really need to do is get a Barnes Manual and look up loads for the powder's you mentioned. Then start low and work up. I would hope if someone gives you a load here, you'd drop back about 10% and work up anyway. Besides that what works in one chamber may not be so good in another.

I have the last two manuals and they dont list those powders. As they are all popular powders I was hoping someone had some experience with them. I have an email into barnes and im waiting to hear back.

I tried RL22 in my 270 with the 130gr T-TSX and TSX and got horizontal stringing. I got 3,200fps, safely in my rifle, with it, but could not cure the hs. I tried Win, Rem, Federal and DWM brass, different primers, charge weights and seating depths. I even Dremmeled the old bedding out of the rifle, and re-bedded it. No change.

I switched to H4831SC and IMR4350 and got exceptional accuracy and around 3,150fps.

Since I load my 270 for hunting, I look for the best accuracy at the highest velocity, so my starting loads are pretty stiff.

With 4831sc and the 130gr T-TSX, my max load is 60.5grs, which is a SAFE load in MY rifle, with my components.

Please reread what Don Fischer said.

Do you have a chronograph to shoot over?

I do have a chrony to shoot over. Since I have a 60 & a 60.5 would 58.5 be a logical starter point? How have you liked them on critters kieth?

I do have a chrony to shoot over. Since I have a 60 & a 60.5 would 57.5be a logical starter point? How have you liked them on critters kieth?

My wife shoots the 110's out of hers. I can't answer your load question, but I've seen what the bullet will do. It will penetrate very well and retain almost all it's weight. Bad thing is they don't produce a very good blood trail. We weren't even sure where she hit her buck until we skinned it. Luckily it was a heart shot and it didn't go far.

Hope that's not typical dan. I had that problem with the regular TSX. a buddy said the tip was supposed to aid in expansion at lower speeds typical of longer shots. We'll see how it goes I loaded some today and if the wind dies ill shoot this evening. Thanks for the response.

The good thing about it is that you don't destroy any meat with this bullet. That buck she shot was quartering away sharply so the bullet went in behind the ribs right in front of the rear leg, went up through the heart and stopped just under the skin in the lower neck in front of the opposite front leg. The bullet expanded and looked just like the pictures they have in the magazines. Not having an exit wound and the entrance being so far back is mainly why there was no blood I'm thinking. I don't have anything against this bullet at all but this is the only experience I have with them. We weighed it after and it was 109.5 grains. I don't know what they do if they hit bone though.

Just shot those loads. All shot well but 60gr shot just over .5". No pressure signs on any of my loads. We'll see now how they hold up from 2 to 500 yards on paper. Thank you guys for all the help.

130g tripple shock is too heavy for deer.

I am shooting the 110g tipped tripple shock with a load of 57.5g of R#17 with a Fed 215 at 3550 and it will shoot a hole through deer from front to rear or vise a versa.

Super accuracy with this load!

Was looking at this as a muley/elk round. Better to be over gunned than under. I know, I know a .300 win would be better but this gun is easy to carry and lights out when we don't have operator error. Deer just seem to go belly up with this gun but I just started hunting colorado where you can often get otc elk tags.

I know some guys that converted from 257 Weatherby shooting 120g Paritions on elk to the 7 Mag shooting 120g Tripple shocks on elk, they have yet to recover a bullet from elk.

I currently shoot the 110g Tipped tripple shock in a 270 at 3550 with fed 215's on deer, they shoot from stem to stern, shoulders, hips and all.

A 140g tripple shock would be plenty on elk for sure.

I have killed many cows with a 243 using 95g Partitions, just place your shot or do not shoot.

I have recovered only one Barnes from an elk, none from a deer.

I've killed elk from 10 yds to 417yds with the Barnes and my 270Win. No tracking required. The longest I've had an elk go when hit with a Barnes is about 10 steps, and I've been using them since 1992.

Since I have a 30-06 as my 'heavy' gun, I will switch to the 110gr Barnes in my 270 when I exhaust my curent supply of 130gr T-TSX.

Great accuracy and on-game performance.

Back