J 13 javelina sound.

Josh777

Anyone have one or better yet know where I can hear one.
I have a hand full of open/closed reed calls that I dont use, and wanted to tweek one of them to make a Javelina call, for my Feb hunt.
does it sound like a pig squeeling, or more like a basic destress call.

Thanks Josh

Josh, any hi pitched prey call(rabbit) that you can quaver will pull them in. Its happened to us at least 6 different times hunting coyotes. One old boar was REAL nasty; cracking his jaws and barking at us from about ten feet. Yeah, barking. We didn't know they did that, and, no, it was not a coyote.

Originally Posted By: kylesredapplethe guy that makes them has a website with sound bites. javelinahunter.com or something like that.

Yeah I tried to listen to it but my computer won't play it.
Thanks though

Originally Posted By: dog1whckrJosh, any hi pitched prey call(rabbit) that you can quaver will pull them in. Its happened to us at least 6 different times hunting coyotes. One old boar was REAL nasty; cracking his jaws and barking at us from about ten feet. Yeah, barking. We didn't know they did that, and, no, it was not a coyote.

Thanks, thats what I was hoping, If I had known how well they responded I would have got a pig last year when they all spooked.
Thanks again.

The first time I used it, I mean the very first time I blew it in the field, I called in and killed a huge boar at about 25 yards. I was stoked. I've tried it half a dozen tinmes since then and every time the javelina have bolted without even a backwards glance. It obviously can work, but I'd try every other approach first based on my relatively small sample size.

Blind calling javelina does not work well. Unlike coyote hunting, just picking a stand in an area that holds pigs and calling is not the best plan. On occasion you will call some up, as many of us have had pigs come in while coyote hunting but the number of coyote stands compared to the number of pigs called in is not good.

I have had great luck calling in pigs after they are spooked and bust. Kinda like quail, after the covey busts they all try to get together again. Same thing. After I have bumped pigs or seen other hunters bump them and they spread out, they respond very well to a plain old predator call.

This is the last pig I shot. Busted a group, they went into the thick stuff in the background. Instead of trying to walk in there quiet and get a shot, my son and I backed up about 25 yards and called them out with the call I'm holding in the pic. I believe that one is called Catnip and it is a bobcat in heat call. Go figure. Good luck.
Javelina_09_004.JPG

Only two more weeks. I'm hoping to run into the herd that we busted last year. Only bad thing is a guy I work with has been out their all month and didn't see a single pig. He did see a lot of coyotes though.

Back