17 remington or 223 ackley improved

brockel

Im planning to build a light coyote rifle off a remington short action that is easy on furs. Which of these would you choose and which bullet would you shoot in it?

Pretty easy question to answer, a 17 Remington, #1 Lilja barrel in 1:9 twist finished at 22", shooting a Nagel T-000 bullet in either 30gr. or 25gr.
Lone Wolf stock, Talley lightweight rings and mounts, a Leupold VX3 2.5-8X36, and a Vero Vellini sling. You should be good to go at around 6lbs. total.
tt1.gif

Gee, wonder how I know this.
laugh.gif

For saving fur I would look more to the .17 Rem. The 223 AI would probably be easier to load for and maintain but rougher on fur.

While I'm probably one of the biggest proponents of the 17Rem alive, if I were building a rifle specifically for "Coyotes" out West where wind and longer distances are common place I'd think hard about a 17/204.
Easy to form with MUCH better brass available (at half the price), and the ability to run 30 Nagels or Golds at 4000fps.
Now if Cats and Fox are also on the menu, then I'll stand by my beloved 17Rem with 25gr Nagels as the best all around fur getter out there.
The 223AI holds no interest for me as a fur getter, although I do think it's a huge "improvement" over the standard 223 and a real over achiever in a nice little package.
Luck

Originally Posted By: RePeteWhile I'm probably one of the biggest proponents of the 17Rem alive, if I were building a rifle specifically for "Coyotes" out West where wind and longer distances are common place I'd think hard about a 17/204.
Easy to form with MUCH better brass available (at half the price), and the ability to run 30 Nagels or Golds at 4000fps.
Now if Cats and Fox are also on the menu, then I'll stand by my beloved 17Rem with 25gr Nagels as the best all around fur getter out there.
The 223AI holds no interest for me as a fur getter, although I do think it's a huge "improvement" over the standard 223 and a real over achiever in a nice little package.
Luck

I couldn't agree more Charlie. That 17-204 using 30gr. bullets will make believers out of most skeptics. The 17 Predator also. Those 2 are without a doubt 2 of the best Western fur saving calibers going. I must also point out that a couple of fella's using factory CZ's in 17 Rem. are just slaying those north western Coyotes with Chan Nagels 30gr. bullets.

Originally Posted By: K22Originally Posted By: RePeteWhile I'm probably one of the biggest proponents of the 17Rem alive, if I were building a rifle specifically for "Coyotes" out West where wind and longer distances are common place I'd think hard about a 17/204.
Luck

I couldn't agree more Charlie. That 17-204 using 30gr. bullets will make believers out of most skeptics. The 17 Predator also. Those 2 are without a doubt 2 of the best Western fur saving calibers going. I must also point out that a couple of fella's using factory CZ's in 17 Rem. are just slaying those north western Coyotes with Chan Nagels 30gr. bullets.

Amen brother!
The guys that talk about "splashes and runners" with 17's could learn a lesson from those two mass murderers, eah?
wink.gif

Course,,, they're not members of the plastic bullet fraternity, and shoot rifles made by foreigners, so what do they know?
smirk.gif

The only reason I spoke of the 17/204 over the 17Pred or 17WCH for 30's is the ease of forming brass, but as you suggested, any of em will get those 30's running at the speed that "I" believe 17cal's preform best at.
JMO

Back