Advice for .223 coyote bullet weight

trickrick

I have just purchased a Savage Edge .223 rifle and have ordered reloading dies to work up some coyote loads.
I currantly shoot a 243 and 22-250 but have a real interest in shooting my 223 as a light weight coyote slayer.

I am heading to Bass Pro to pick up a couple of bullets to try, and looking for suggestions. I like Vmax's in my other rifles if that helps. What grain???
Thanks!

Last edited:
Vmax is not usually fur friendly..Try 30 gr Berger Varmint Match with 29 or 30 grains of AA2230 at about 4000 fps. quarter inch hole going in. Nothing coming out.

Dave

i have a savage mod 10 predator in .223, at 100 wit 40gr vmax and 25gr of benchmark im shooting .498in, at 150 im at .785in im gettin ready to load sum 50 gr vmaxs tonite, as for how they work on coyotes idk. havnt got to try it on an animal yet. hope this helps

Trickrick, I have the same rifle and it shoots 55gr and 60gr pills VERY VERY well. I was breaking the barrel in with some 55gr FMJs and could not believe the accuracy I was getting out of it at extended ranges. I am currently shooting 60gr Sierra HPs out of it using H4895. An outstanding bullet for this rifle in accuracy and it has worked like a champ with the bigger dogs that we get here in the midwest. I think 55gr Vmax bullets would work fine.....

Last edited:
The V-Max has taken many yotes with my .223. I also like the blitzking by Serria. I use the 40 gr blitz in my hornet and they are very good.

Tom

Sierra BK's in my Stevens 200. Accuracy is very good with either 50 or 55 gr bullets.

Last edited:
The majority of bullets that I run out of my 223 are 55gr NBT. Never really had any luck with the v-amx in anything but 60gr. And only have a few of them left. I really wanted them to shoot well in the 223,243,6x45,20pr,25-06 but they gave me ok groups but had better luck with other brands of bullets in each caliber.

I have never had a pelt problem with .223 40 gr. V-Max at 3,300 fps. Much of it will depend on the rate of twist of your barrel. Good luck.

Does anyone know the twist for my Savage Edge 223 and Savage Model 10 in 243?
I took the rifles home and put in the safe...... Hope to shoot this Sunday

Back