338 RUM, Deer hunting report.

eclipse71

I got a Browning Eclipse 338 Ultra Mag ( semi-custom ) 28 inch barrel.
If you plan to use it for deer hunting, think twice.
Hopefully those picture will help you to figure your mind about the definition of overpower.
I have tried this caliber, and killed some deer over years. Some shot are not perfect as deer use to run when their 6th sense is tinkling
First shot I made was at 250 yard, Big doe running away, was the only deer i saw that year= down, even with a hit like that she FRT, DRT.
the other picture was deleted, heres one more acceptable from the same shot, different view:

This shot at 315 yard the other side of the field,

This one 150 yard, perfect shot she run 50 yard after hit.
what you see is the exit wound:

This one, 320 yard the bullet hit the shoulders blade, destroyed everything.....everything ! when we remove the hide, the bottom part separate from the rest of the body, ( cut in half )

I'm now using a 7mm-08

Last edited:
Switch to the 185gr TSX and you will solve the problem of overkill. I use the 338RUM with this combo and it works very well. HAPPY HUNTING

The 338 RUM is the one that told me I had turned one too many pages in the reloading manual.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Yukon21You've got to be kidding a .338 on a whitetail? Unreal.

never had one that run off with the ole 243.

Not to poke fun at those who are laughing at this but he does live in BC, Canada and one gun for all shooting the 338RUM would be a great choice. Bears, moose, elk, deer, there is nothing wrong with the 338 and you can load down to 160gr TTSX up to over 250gr bullets. So beware of the one gun hunter!!!! HAPPY HUNTING

Originally Posted By: Yukon21You've got to be kidding a .338 on a whitetail? Unreal.

Ive have taken a bunch of deer with a 338 (win not RUM) with no ill effects, and have found that most of the time it no more damage or blood shot than ones ive shot with my 30-06. I have even taken antelope with my 338 as my back up rifle and the scope on my antelope rifle crapped out. The animal cant be over dead, and I like the 338 for everything, never had an antelope, whitetail, mule deer, black bear, or elk complain about what i was using.

I agree, I don't know how many reload but the 160gr TTSXs work very well. I don't know about the long range shot out to 600 but they do work for 500 on in. My remington 700 that I accurized they shoot very well. The 185s shoot better but not by much. I don't see anything wrong with the 338 for deer. HAPPY HUNTING

Back