6mm AI

wow! thats light for a 6ai! ive pushed 70gr up to 4000fps, my go to load is a 75gr vmax @3850fps.

if the bullets hold up then you might push them to 4200 or faster.

thats kinda what i was thinking. Planning on starting a custom build but was looking for some data or experience. Im thinking the 60 grn bergers will scream, shoot great, and shoot flat

well,

shooting the 60gr at 4200 with a bc of .242
vs
shooting the 70gr ballistic tip at 4000 with a bc of .310

both will have the exact same trajectory out to 300yards but the 70gr will have about 300ft pds more energy.
past 300y and the 70gr is the flatter shooting of the two and has less wind drift. and at 300y the 70gr will be traveling almost 200fps faster than the 60gr. what makes this possible is all in the bc of the bullet.

not trying to talk you out of the 60's but to get the most out of your 6AI for flattest shooting then look at the 70-75gr bullets!

If you want to shoot the 60-75g bullets, get a 1-14 twist and you will get the speed. I had one other 6mm AI with a 1-10 twist for a while with a 26" barrel on it and 3850 was the accuracy load with the 70's. The 1-14 twist will stabalize the 80g Sierra Blitz BT with R#19 very well, can't say about the 80g Nosler.

I shoot win 760 with Fed 210's or CCI 250's with the 60-75g bullets to get the speed I am talking about. The accuracy load with the 60g Sierra is at 4400 fps in the one 1-12 twist Hart that I tried it in.

I would recommend Hart, Shilen, Lilja, Pac Nor, Lothar Walthar, Broughton barrels that I have used.

These slow twist barrel work very well to 500 yards which is as far as I would ever shoot with the exception of one day we shot to about 750 on a dog town..we wiped the dogs out with 75g sierra HP.

What ever you do, throat the barrel for the size bullet you will shoot. I found that in 1700-1800 rounds down the pipe of a 243 AI using win 760, shooting rounds as fast as you could lock and load on p. dog towns, that the leade would grow about .070-.100. So, increasing the leade to accomodate longer bullets, amounts to a lot of barrel wear. My reamers are cut with zero freebore and I just stuff the bullet back in the case. I have heard some guys talk of this making the rifle less accurate if the bullet goes beneath the shoulder neck junction, but that is hog wash. A guy always has to be aware of brass flow into the shoulder neck junction, as he gets 15-20 firings on a case(doughnut).

Also, an 80g Win is one heck of a deer and antelope bullet in the .243 caliber, also stabalizes in the 1-14 twist at these velocities.

60g Sierra HP at 4400 blows up coyotes, shoots bob cats in half, and foxes are just blown all over the bushes. So, the 6mm AI is not a fur friendly way to go.

I have always wanted to know if the 87g V Max would stabalize in a 1-12 twist at fast velocities, I know for a fact that the 80g Berger will stabalize in the 1-12 twist.

Coyote hunting is generally not a long range hobby with most of the shots being 300 yds and under. It sure is nice to know that when you connect on a shot that at least one half of the coyote will be laying right were you hit him!

Last edited:
ackleyman, you and I would get along. I am wanting flat and fast to put the whoop azz on em. So your saying that a 14 twist will stabalize a 60-75 grain no problem? I am looking at shooting the 60-69 grain bergers

you would be fine with 1:14 twist for those bullets. as mentioned before I would strongly consider a 1:12 or 1:13 just so you can shoot the 80 grainers---just in case. Not all 1:14 twists shoot 75s or 80s. May be that some barrels have a slightly slower twist than claimed or the bore may be a little tight etc...

What Loaded Joe said is spot on. You will get the best overall performance shooting 70-75 grain bullets in the 6MM AI for blowing up varmints at range.

Originally Posted By: Varmint Masterackleyman, you and I would get along. I am wanting flat and fast to put the whoop azz on em. So your saying that a 14 twist will stabalize a 60-75 grain no problem? I am looking at shooting the 60-69 grain bergers

75g V Max and 75g Sierra's are fine in a 14twist, but the 69g Berger may need a 1-12 twist, it is a long bullet. 68g Bergers are fine in a 14 twist. The 68g Bergers are on a jacket that is .825 long and the 69g Berger is on a .900 jacket. Don't rule out the 70g Nosler Ballistic tip, extremely accurate bullet.

In my last 6AI, a 1-14 twist was shooting the 80g Sierra Blitz BT at 3800 into tiny groups with R#19 and WLR primers.

I've had no trouble getting 75 gr bullets to shoot well from a 1-12 twist. However a Berger 87gr VLD and 1-10 really shines as far as accuracy is concerned. YMMV.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BWBIf a person was to be shooting the 75 and 87 Vmax's with this caliber would a 1:10 twist be best?

Mine is a 28" 1:10 and that's the bullet weights I shoot in mine.
Someday I'll try out the 95gr vld's. Ive read that they'll stabilize as well.
87's are made for 1:10 and I was able to push the 75gr to 3850fps with great accuracy with vvN550. Only powder I found to get the speeds where I wanted and still shoot tight groups.
I settled on the 75's for the less of a recoil and higher speeds.

I've also read that N160 shines in the 6ai as well.

Last edited:
Back