Savage Axis XP 25-06 anybody shoot this caliber?

One Shot One Kill

Hi guys/gals. I have a Savage 25-06 that I got bsck in November and I love this rifle. I was wanting to know if any of you out there shoot the same caliber and how you like it. I know this will make you all cringe but i have seen about 20 yotes and have only been able to drop one since i started coyote hunting in December. Of course I hsve only been able to shoot at a few of those. Just let me know what you think. Thank you all.

Last edited:
I have a Mossberg 4x4 in 25/06 and love the gun and caliber. Extremely flat shooting, bucks the wind well and packs a serious punch upon impact. Great choice in rifle. Now it's time to start closing the deal on the yotes. And welcome to the forum.

One Shot One Kill:

You will like the 25/06; its a great caliber to load for (especially since factory ammo for that caliber is much higher than when I bought mine in 1983...).

Shouldn't you change your screen name with that lousy yote record? HA ...just keep hunting and you will get some; sounds like there are plenty in your area!

If you can find factory ammo with the 90 gr. Sierra HPBT, that may be a good bullet for preserving pelts at longer range with careful bullet placement.

I have an original Savage 110L that was manufactured in the late 50s or early 60s that was rebarreled to .25-06 before I got it. I am getting 3350 fps out of a 24 inch barrel with 100 grain bullets. That is laser flat to 300 yards+. I only handload for it. The deer seldom take a step when shot with it-DRT. That rifle is my all time favorite deer rifle. It is zeroed at +2 inches at 100 yards, +2 at 200 yards, dead on at 250 yards, and less than 4 inches low at 300 yards.

The MAXIMUM velocity achieved with my 25-06 are very respectfull 25 fps add to that limit and the accuracy was becoming an issue and overpressure start to be noticeable on the primer.
At those Maximum, brass doesnt last long neither ( primer pocket expansion ). I know the Max now, I back-off few fps.
Bullet: 100gr Nosler Bal-tip
Heres the recipe :
Tikka T3 22.5 inch barrel,
MAX:IMR-4350 53.5gr, F210M , 3.160 COL, 3197 fps, Sub MOA.
MAX:IMR-4350 53.5gr, F215M , 3.160 COL, 3280 fps, MOA

TC Prohunter 28 inch barrel,
MAX:IMR-4350 53.5gr, F215M , 3.160 COL, 3453 fps, MOA

My favourite is ( Tikka T3 )
IMR-4350 52.8gr, F210M , 3.170 COL, 3160 fps, SUB MOA.

My Nephew:

My Groundhog:

A+

I am considering getting a couple of these for my twins lol. I have a 25-06 in a CDL and absolutely love it. shoots as flat as my 300 weatherby as is lots easier on the shoulder lol

Thank you all for your input. It has been great to hear even more great things about the 25-06 round. I have heard it is a very flat shooting round. I also have thought about reloading my own rounds. I have helped with reloading a little bit but not alot. So I do know the basics of how to do it. I would just need to get some books to make sure I would get the correct amounts of powder and what kind of powder and how to be as safe as possible. Right now I am shooting Hornady Superformance 117 grain that is exiting the muzzle at 3110 fps. I found the other day some Federals that are shooting between 4300 and 4500 fps with the 90 grain. I used the name One Shot One Kill to challenge myself to get better. I love my New rifle and intend on keeping it for a very long time. In fact I would want this to be a hand me down for a child of mine or grand child of mine some day. It is a special rifle to me and I intend on getting very good at shooting it. Thank you all once again and if any of you have advice for me on coyote hunting feel free to message me and also friend me on here as well.

I've owned a .25-06 since 1977, my favorite cartridge. Flat shooting, accurate and the hardest hitting varmint cartridge I've ever seen.

I use mine mostly for varmint hunting but have also used it for deer and even bear.

With the 85 gr bullet I get velocities of about 3500 fps, and that's moving.

I love the 25-06 and have owned several of different make's over the years and they all shot great my latest is a Savage mod.110 bull bbl with the accu trigger,handloads with 52 gr.Imr 4350 and 100 gr.btsp,print's 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups at 100 yrds all day long.taking it with me to Peace River Alberta Canada this comming fall for a wolf hunt,man gonna be a loooooooong summer!

Have shot several coyotes with 120 gr Deer loads while chasing deer. Those bullets are NOT impressive coyote stoppers. Load 75gr Sierra's or Vmax's running hot. If you hit them broad-side, you will ALMOST cut them in half!!!

LOL!!! My first yote I hit broar side dead center of body and it exited [beeep] near out of the top of his back and leaft a hole the size of a golf ball oar bigger. He was a big dog too. He was in the 40-43lbs range. I have his tail and I am waiting on his skull so I can do a european mount with the tail hanging under it. He was a very good looking dog. I was not able to use the picture with him in it as my icon because it was too big.

Originally Posted By: One Shot One KillThank you all for your input. It has been great to hear even more great things about the 25-06 round. Right now I am shooting Hornady Superformance 117 grain that is exiting the muzzle at 3110 fps. I found the other day some Federals that are shooting between 4300 and 4500 fps with the 90 grain.

One Shot:

Your typed FPS is in error re the 90 gr. bullets...no way they are moving at 4300-4500 FPS from a 25/06. Thought you should know (check the package again).

Congrats on the first coyote; I knew you would score after all your near successes!

I may have been incorrect about the ballistics of the Federal Amo. I will do more research on it and get back. There were a few other calibers I picked up and looked at also. 220 swift, 222, and 204 ruger. All of them were the Nosler Ballistic rounds. But I will update later on when I check into it.

Last edited:
A buddy of mine had a Savage 25-06 with a sporter barrel. Once he found the right load, it was a tac-driver. If I remember correctly, it was 3 rounds touching. You have a lot of good info above.

Back