22-250 for lions?

idahowildlander

I have found an area with tons of lions sign I found a fresh "still warm" deer kill this morning so i sat on it most the day and will again tomorrow. my ? is the 22-250 shooting 52 grain a-max at 3900fps going to be enough gun? shot distance should be pretty close 150 or less. I figured i'd just try to lung him and hope for the best if i get a chance.

Yhea, that should work at the distance you mentioned and beyond. I'd prefer a 55gr softpoint or spitzer for the better penetration. Here KITTY, KITTY, KITTY!

I pack my 22-250 cougar hunting. Killed the one in my picture with it. 64gr winchester power points. I shoot everything with them.

Thanks guys any other thoughts on the 22-250 for lions?I could also shoot a 257 weatherby at it but all i have loaded at the time are 75 grain v-max and I don't relly need a basketball entry hole. Any advice on hunting lions without hounds? I plan to hang out on this kill for a few days then maybe try to call it.

Last edited:
Shot this one with a .223 at approx 10 yards. The 53 gr TSX made a .22 hole going in and a .22 hole coming out with jello in the middle. So yeah.. your .22/250 will get it done. Go for a heart shot if you can. they get orner when wounded
wink.gif

047.jpg

Nice cat nofiveo. Hopefully I can get a crack at him I figured I would try to snake one in the heart lung area shouldnt get to far that way. I know the antelope I have shot with this combo dont get far with one in the lungs.

Back