Can coyotes climb?

I dont know bout fences but I wouldn't put it past em. I've seen 1 climb an angled tree and many climb straight up stacks of hay

If its just a regular chain link fence I would bet that a coyote would just jump over. I know for sure they can climb a creek bank that goes straight up because I catch them doing that all the time. They are pretty amazing critters.

Originally Posted By: 1trkyhntrI know that foxes can climb a chain link fence and escape a pen, can a coyote climb a fence?

I knew of 1-coyote that could climb. Many yrs ago, my Dad & my old hunting bud. Raised a female coyote from a pup. He also had coyote sighthounds in 8'tall chain link/hog panel pens. He kept his only female staghound(large dog) in her own pen. Come coyote mating season time. This coyote who stayed in their acrege yard, loose.

Climbed up & over an 8' high fence & in with the female staghound. The coyote commenced to way lay into that large dog, who knows why? That little coyote was all over that dog. Although the dog couldn't climb that fence prior. She apparently mustered up the will too. To escape that coyote's wrath.

The dog/coyote battle continued on over the acrege yard. My Friend's wife tried to break up the melee with a broom. Coyote then turned on her. She called a neighbor who came to her rescue. Then her husband was called home from work right then. He came home & shot that coyote.

I put little past the capabilities of a coyote.

I thing coyote vs. cat answers that question. I would think a coyote could climb, we used to have a black and tan coonhound that would shimmy straight up a tree to try to get to the coon. If he could do it then I don't see why a coyote couldn't.

Back