Night hunting without lights

Mark2

Here in the great state of Massachusetts we are not allowed to use artificial lights for hunting coyotes at night. Around here snow is spotty, found one spot today that has some snow for tonight, anyone else feel my pain.

Absolutely. It is a shame. That law is under Chapter 131 of the Commonweath of Massachusetts. We can moan all we want to the fish and game but this is not a fish and game regulation. This is a law under the state of Massachusetts. The only way we can change it is if we get some sort of petition and ask a friendly state representative or senator to draft a bill to allow the use of artificial lights at night for predator hunting. I live in southern Worcester County and it would behoove someone to write to Steven Brewer or Richard Moore. They have been friendly towards hunters and gun owners in the past.

Although we have a strict leash law I do fear shooting someone's dog by accident.

Gents,

If I may: Also prove that predator hunters as a whole are the safest group of hunters in your state. You'll have to go in with lots of backup information to make your case, but it will be worth it. Make friends with a few legislators as well, and carry on with firmness of purpose. Our PPHA (Penn. Predator Hunters Assoc.) here in Pennsy was greatly responsible for:

Passing a law to allow us gun mounted lights to hunt preds.
Allowing us to carry self defense weapons at all times (as long as we had a valid carry permit) while hunting.

Good Luck,

John

Here's a link to MGL Chap 131, Sec 68:

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXIX/Chapter131/Section68

Where is the sense in allowing hunting until midnight but without the aid of a light?? Lights are permitted to hunt racoons and opossums but not coyote, fox or bobcat! Doesn't make sense. Safety and positive target id should be a prime concern. Without the aid of a light a hunter could very easily mistakenly shoot a domestic dog or cat. Love this State!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ecavalWhere is the sense in allowing hunting until midnight but without the aid of a light?? Lights are permitted to hunt racoons and opossums but not coyote, fox or bobcat! Doesn't make sense. Safety and positive target id should be a prime concern. Without the aid of a light a hunter could very easily mistakenly shoot a domestic dog or cat. Love this State!

My thoughts exactly.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Uncle_SteveWith the warm weather it might be a good night to go out and call some racoons. They might be out of the den trees looking for food.

Gotcha.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ecavalWithout the aid of a light a hunter could very easily mistakenly shoot a domestic dog or cat. Love this State!

Ted Kennedy killed the domestic dog & cat.
wink.gif

I would be happier if they lifted the center fire ban,for use with Gen #2 or #3 night vision only.
Save your bucks boys, and get some night vision,its the only way to roll.
I should have had my first shotgun dog last night,but my set up was poor.I am using a helmet mounted PVS-14 over left eye shooting with the bare right eye,I have a Sight Mark dot reticle sight.If you leave both eyes open the you see the dot in the night vision side also,point of impact is right on.However this can only occur if your right eye dominant.
I did not hunt tonite because its to warm,sweat my but off getting into the stand.

What happened to winter, this time last year we were butt deep in snow and now it's hard to find any. I'm taking my buddy out to my best spot this Saturday, I'm trying to get him his first yote. Hopefully he won't miss this time.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Using my 243 and my 308 with 110 grainers. I'm not seeing a good outlook for fur. My buddy does not have a rifle so he's borrowing mine.

Hey Mark. Dumb question, but where are you finding 110gr bullets for your .308?? Would love to get my hands on some and all I can find is 150-180.

Serria and Hornady both make a 110. Serria has a RDSP for the .30 carbine and a HP, Hornady has a SP. Hornady aldo has a 90 grain XTP but it is for handguns only, will probably blow up before it reaches the target. Speer has a 100 grain SP, called the plinker.

Steve

Most of the laws passed for the protection of fish and game were passed between 1900 and 1930 or so. Many moons ago I was a chaperone for student government day at the statehouse in Massachusetts. While my charge was off doing a mock senate debate I was in the statehouse publications office checking up on all of the fish and game laws. The big thing seemed to be to protect deer from poachers. So many of the laws we have on the books in many ways are quite outdated.

Back