doves anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yotenighthunter

How was opening day for the rest of you guys? I didn't do to great we got 19 between the 3 of us. Still have blood on my hands, so I'm going to go clean up. Hope you guys did well! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
YNH

i went and the stupid ravens were flying over everywhere i went so i couldnt resist blowing them away ,ive got a 12 gauge on layaway ,i used my 410 and missed alot of doves ,did great on the ravens.12 gauge is probily the way to go,is that what you guys use?

oh i guess the reason the ravens were everywhere is becouse me and the new mexico kid [ chad] went to this area and blew away about 150 to 200 p-dogs

Hey Mjr39,
Yeah I think I would use a 12 over a 4-10 but a lot of people like a 20 the best. Next time I go I'm going to use my 28 or maybe my 16. Two of us were using 12s today and the other was using a 20. I know how you feel, there were magpies everywhere today and it took all I had to not blow 'em away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

We had a great day on doves! Hot but productive. The geese lifted off their pond and private land but flew south and we needed them to fly east. Will hit both again later this week.

I went dove hunting too with my nine month old lab and we did great here in Washington State but
HEH!
Up here Ravens are a PROTECTED BIRD- They are considered a songbird by most state departments of wildlife. I have researched Your State Game Department rules and they state very plainly that Ravens are a protected species. I hunt nearly 25 weekends a year for birds, big game and predators. I use this website as a place for gathering information, exchanging information and to involve myself with other hunters. Your ethics, or lack thereof, greatly harm my ability to hunt in the field. Our rights as hunting sportsmen are in danger of being revoked by many state votes and anti-hunting establishments. You are giving them the power to take our rights as hunters away from us. I think you are a slob hunter...one who bangs away on any target you can find simply because a legal opportunity doesn't fly by. I am frankly surprised that the moderators of this board have not responded to your sick response. I will myself contact the NM DOW and see what they can do to limit your opportunities to hunt. Thanks to you we all suffer. The next time you decide to chime in with your illegal activities at least leave your e-mail so that you make the point of being an idiot complete.

Hunted about 20 miles east of Houston yesterday. I have hunted this same field for the past three years. Last year, I limited out by about 8AM, this year I shot 8. Man, it was a scorcher yesterday and we just about consumed our weight in water and sodas.

The key here is not the number if birds you pick up, its the amount of enjoyment you get, and me and the dog (yellow lab) limited out on enjoyment. She slept all the way home rather than hanging her head out the window is as usual. I took a nice Sunday afternoon nap, which ain't too unusual.

Hope everybody else had a grand time too.

mjr39, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif according to the New Mexico Game & Fish department you are not too shoot ravens :eek: !

I hope maybe you have mistaken Crows for Ravens.... Anyway....My 18 month old yellow lab did well. I'm still working with him on doubles, but he's got the singles figured out. He and I got our limit in an hour. Lots of Dove here this year. Randy

i am very sorry ,i have lived in new mexico for 20 years and didnt know the ravens are a protected bird,people talk about shooting them with never a mention of them being protected ,these birds are everywhere here on the rezervation,are they ravenes or crows,what is the difference between the two?

oh and the reason for the shooting of the p-dogs is that the place we went to, the oweners have opened it up to thinout the multitudes of rodents. shooting them is a lot more humane that poison.and i promise never to shoot a protected animal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back