CZ 243 anybody got one

Just got the 550 Varmint Kevlar in 22-250. I am guessing that you are talking about the 550 American.

The Savage vs. CZ debate is a toss up in my opinion. The CZ single set trigger is a plus and mine is adjustable for creep and overtravel as well as pull, both in the set mode and the regular mode. You will need a 7mm open end wrench to do the trigger adjustment. The down side of the CZ is that it has a very short lenght of pull. About 13 and 1/2 inch. I was going to build a spacer by the butt pad is apparently glued on to the stock.

I have the Savage Predator 10 in 204 and it is a shooter. It is a heavy rifle. The accu-trigger is nice, but I prefer the single set on the CZ. Length of pull is much better.

It may come down to weight and whether you like the accu-trigger or the single set.

I have a couple 527's and savages. IMO my savages shoot better. I think the cz is and excellent gun but I don't really care for the safety on them. Just seems hard to reach with your thumb.

I have the 550 american in a 22-250 and I have had savages as well and there is no comparison between the two. To me you are comparing a chevette to a camaro for the same price. Get the cz and don't look back.

I had a CZ 550 American in 22-250, and 243. My Brother and a friend wanted them very bad, after seeing how well they shot, so they got them.

I still have a CZ550 in 6.5x55 and a 30-06. IMO, They are that good. I have a few Savages with custom barrels that are nice, but the CZ's are much nicer IMO.

I have a CZ and don't have a savage. However I do have a Sako, a Remington, A Marlin, an FN FAL (or a few at least), some AK's, a G3 and all sorts of fun toys. The CZ is one of my favorites for just about all reasons. It is light, accurate, the action is slick, the trigger is great (and adjustable). I could go on but at 1:30am my vocabulary for praise words is dwindling...you get the picture.
Have fun with whatever you end up buying. I have never seen a bad CZ, but I have not seen every one of them.

I think the CZ action is much smoother than the Savage and with the set trigger, combines the best of both worlds. I also think the finish is nicer on the CZ.

Accuracy wise, I think they're both very good from the factory.

I really like the extractors on the CZ, a big freaking claw. I can't stand that tiny little POS Savage has for an extractor, and not too fond of Remmy's either, looks like an ugly toenail clipping. But they seem to generally work.

Just looking at and handling a CZ and you can see the fit and finish is much nicer. Just an all round better built, better quality part.

OH and BTW, Rumor has it, that the original CZ527, 17 Rem Varmint rifles actually had Lothar Walther barrels.

I had the CZ american in 243. Took a couple yotes with it. I really like the gun. The set trigger was real nice. Sold it when the marriage problems arose.LOL
Daryl P.

I have a CZ 550 American in 243. Shoots good, nice wood, and i love the single set trigger.. I have a Savage, but mine is a Mod 12. My CZ 550 is a bit in the heavy side, but a shooter.. The safety doesn't bother my as I do not trust or use a safety..

Check out the weight on the 550. THe gun is not light like the 527. The 550 is a heavy tank but controlled feed is a bonus.

Seriously, look at the tikka t-3. Find my tikka shoots better and has a better trigger then the cz 527's. Even the savage axis is like sub moa out of the box for 200 bucks. These days even the cheapest rifles shoot great!

I bought a CZ 550 .243 years ago when looking for a varmint rifle. I wasn't honest with myself in terms of what I truly wanted when I bought it in that I wanted something light and easy to carry. The CZ 550 does not fit this bill.

However, it does have the old world build quality of yesterday that is not found on today's Remington/Ruger/Winchesters. It is an all steel gun with a decent trigger with an added bonus of having a set trigger. As for the safety on the 550, it is forward to fire just like the Remington 700. However, it seems a little more awkward to push forward than the 700s.

Lastly, I have tried just about everything to try and get it to shoot 100gr Core-Lokts for deer hunting. It simply hates those bullets with an average of 2-3" groups. I have loaded them with IMR 4350, Varget and IMR 4064 and still no dice. It does however love the Sierra 85 gr HPBTs and will shoot them into one ragged hole @ 100yds with 37.8gr of Varget (work up to this load). With these thoughts, I think the 1/10 twist CZ uses in their .243 is just too slow for the Core-Lokts. I have not measured that twist to see if it is truly a 1/10 as they state.

All in all a great gun but ask yourself what qualities you are looking for in a gun and see if this fits the bill.

Back