EZ brass catcher

Smokeless

Just wanted to share my attempt at a brass catcher. I wanted something quiet, something easy, and most of all functional.

So I set out with the things that I had on hand: #6 solid copper wire, a certain purple cotton bag that was the right dimensions, and a little rubber splice tape.

I bent the copper wire to fit the ejection port of my R-15 with enough tail piece to bend a hook that would go over the picatinny rail to hold it all in place. This did require a hand held torch and a small amount of fabrication to make the bend over the rail, but also keep it all close to the ejection port, and make a nice small loop at the end of the hook as to not scratch the frame. Then I wrapped the end of the loop with rubber splice tape for a non-mare finish. Next I died the purple bag black with Rit die, dried it, and simply threaded it onto my wire frame. This is it:

000_0028.jpg

000_0029.jpg

000_0027.jpg

I plan on sewing a zipper in the bottom for easier spent brass removal, but for now it works great, is quiet, and very functional. I hate chasing brass, and in the field sometimes it's almost impossible. This solves that problem nicely.

What do you all think?

Pretty slick! Don't you love inventing stuff,...and those Crown bags are good for so many things, haha.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARPretty slick! Don't you love inventing stuff,...and those Crown bags are good for so many things, haha.

Yes... I do enjoy making stuff. Although mine is not as well thought out as yours.

Mine fits tight and works well though. I need to refine it some, but all in all I'm happy.

Originally Posted By: biggen0_8I'll probably ruin 2 or 3 bags before I get it right, soooo, better make sure I've got plenty on hand.

Let me know when you're ready to umm, aquire those bags and I'll give you a hand!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleGreat idea and results... Now I'm going to have to empty one of those bottles to have the bag...
w00t.gif

Thanks OT. FWIW, it's not that hard to do.... Making the brass catcher, or getting rid of the bottle. As long as you do it in that order. haha.

Last edited:
Back