new to coyote vocals! I have questions.

tmoos111

Hi guys just wanted to start by say thanks for all the great info on here. This is my first year calling and I have been doing fairly well sofar but things are starting to slow down a bit. With that being said I would like to add coyote vocals to the arsanal,with it being there breading season. So before I go out and educate all the coyotes in my county I would like to ask a few questions to help ease the learning curve. The call I will be using a fury loaded up with these vocals
1. female long howl 1,2 and 3
2.coy fem whimpers
3.female coyote challange barks
4.female coyote challange
5.female coyote howls
6.female coyote bark howls
7.female yodel howl
8.yipping coyotes
9.coyote group yip howls
10.coyote pair yip howls
11.coyote ki-yi
12.coyote male barks
13.male coyote long howl
14.male coyote howls
15.male coyote challange screem
16.coyote thret bark howl
17.coyote pup screems
18.coyote pup distress
19.TTcoyote fight
20.TT aggressive male

now for the questions
1. I know I can start a sequence with howls but is a long howl different than a bark howl?
2.Is there certain howls that I should not start with?
3.If I start with howl how long do I let the call run on the particular sound?
4.Is there vocalizations that should not be used together?
I think that is all for now any other added tips and pointers would be appreciated.

IMO two of the most "disharming" coyote vocals are.

High pitched long howl
Pup howl

Coyotes are liken to domestic dogs(canine family). They are submissive/cowardly/opertunistic, until proven otherwise.

Last edited:
Id start your stand with 1,5,7,8 9 or 10. A howl with barks shows a sign of agression. The ones i listed will get a response at night and day from a subordinant dog or insubordinant dog. I would not start out with a male howl, it can send you d dogs packin. I only use a challenge howl if i get challenged or if a group answers me this time of year. Start ur stand with a lonesome howl or pair yip howls after 15 min if nothing showes id use 2,11,17 and 18 .

The last 4-5 coyotes I've called in since the first of the year have all came in to the same basic sequence. This has been a couple of female long howls (#1), answered by me with a howler, keeping the pitch hi and long. No barks. I'll wait a few then hit the coyote serenade on the foxpro. Wait a few then a couple minutes of wimpers. I'll end the stand with pup distress, then give it 5-10 minutes of silence. For me this translates into a 35-40 minute stand. When I'm using distress I rarely stay on stand more than 20 minutes, but this time of year using vocals, I stay quite a bit longer.

On my CS24 when using coyote vocals I go into the settings and set the sounds to play once instead of repeat mode. It gives you better control of what you are doing.

Thanks so much guys. I did a little calling with vocals this morning and didnt have any luck I started with female coyote bark howl. waited a few minutes and did one more bark howl. I did this for about 5 min then waited and did a pup howl a couple times. and at about the 15 minute mark I did a pup distress and waited another 5 and that was all.
I went to my next stand and went back to the old trusty distress sounds and called in a male and female pair. one hung up at 250 yds and the other come straight to the decoy I barked to stop him but he wasnt gonna stop so my buddy shot the one that hung up at 250 and dropped her. I was finally able to get on the male that was trying to make his way out the back door and shot him on the run at about 100. We made a couple more stands but didnt have any luck.
Thanks again for the tips keep them comming I will put them to use my next time out. Travis

Originally Posted By: tmoos111Thanks so much guys. I did a little calling with vocals this morning and didnt have any luck I started with female coyote bark howl. waited a few minutes and did one more bark howl. I did this for about 5 min then waited and did a pup howl a couple times. and at about the 15 minute mark I did a pup distress and waited another 5 and that was all.
I went to my next stand and went back to the old trusty distress sounds and called in a male and female pair. one hung up at 250 yds and the other come straight to the decoy I barked to stop him but he wasnt gonna stop so my buddy shot the one that hung up at 250 and dropped her. I was finally able to get on the male that was trying to make his way out the back door and shot him on the run at about 100. We made a couple more stands but didnt have any luck.
Thanks again for the tips keep them comming I will put them to use my next time out. Travis

What no pics!!!

Wow I did it! not the best layout but there they are. That is my buddy in the pic making the funny face.lol! AS yo can see the male had a severe case of mange and most of his teeeth in the front was wore down to the gums. I think we did him a huge favor by putting him down. Maybe next time my pics will be in a little beeter order.

If you have coyotes challenging you back after any of the female vocals but they are not coming in we have had very good results lately using COYOTE GROWLS followed by PUP DISTRESS 3 on full volume.

To me Coyote Growls sounds like a coyote is killing somthing. Just yesterday on 4 different ocassions we had coyotes charge in after using Coyote Growls and then using Pup Distress 3.

Male Challenge 4 sounds just like the coyotes do around here and it works great to fire up the coyotes.

Thanks for your input Derby. I havent really started to use vocals up until this weekend and we had no luck as far as getting any response. I will defenatly keep the sequence in mind though. How long do you run your growls? thanks again travis

We've been having good luck with TT Coyote Fight, later in the stand. Similar to what Derby is saying, except this is a flat out fight recording. It'll make the challengers either put up or shut up.

I usually start with a lone howl, then yipping pair, aggressive male, then coyote fight.

Tony

Originally Posted By: TonyTebbeWe've been having good luck with TT Coyote Fight, later in the stand. Similar to what Derby is saying, except this is a flat out fight recording. It'll make the challengers either put up or shut up.

I usually start with a lone howl, then yipping pair, aggressive male, then coyote fight.

Tony

I haven't gotten TT coyote fight loaded onto my caller yet, but it is the ONLY sound I have ever played for my German Shepherd that will CONSISTENTLY get her attention. I don't know what those yotes are saying, but there is something at about 20 seconds into the recording that will even wake her up from a sound sleep, and her reaction is always at that same point in the call. I can't wait to try it in the field.

I am new to the sport but fastly addicting.I have a question on volume levels during start up and during. What about distress rabbits this time of year around ks? when is the best time to use wounded animal calls? thanks

Back