leupold VX1 or Nikon Buckmaster/ both 3x9x40

I am not a Nikon fan at all but the Buckmaster is a better scope than a VXI for sure. Step up to the VXII and the better scope is the Leupold. IMO

If you can, put them side by side. I went to the gunshop a few years ago with VXII money for a 4x-12x-40 fine duplex. I had borrowed one for the previous year and really liked it. While I was waiting at the counter I put a Buckmasters 4x-12x-50mm side focus next to it and compared them. I walked out with the Nikon that day and bought 2 more since then. I think it ended up about $70 less than the Leupold. The guy I borrowed the Leupold from looked through my Buckmasters and likes his VXII better. Glass opinions can be very subjective to the end user. In the end, try as many as you can with your eyes before dropping money on them. The classified are full of equipment that was bought on a whim or heresay. I've made purchases sight unseen and some go well and some go back for sale. For what it's worth, like meat hunter, I don't think much of the VXI in that comparison.

Thanks men, those were very well thought out replies and I appreciate it. Leupold confuses me with all all their vx1 vx2 vxii and so on. Thanks again for the opinions.

I have owned a VX I, do own several VX IIs, and a few VXIIIs.

I will go out on a limb and say for the price the Buckmaster line of scopes is on par/if not better than the VXII.

I own about 7 Buckmasters now all 3-9x40s or 4.5-14s, and I have zero complaints on them. They track very well, really crisp lens, and they work subperb in low light or no light (full moon hunting). All of my calling rifles, except one, has Nikon Buckmasters on it for a reason. In that price range you won't find better glass.

I have had lots of people tell me to stay away from the VX1, but I have no personal experience with them. I have had a 4-12 Buckmaster for a number of years and it has been flawless on my 6mm.

I have had good luck with my Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x40. Don't have any VX-1 but I have 3 VX-2's and they are great scopes. The VX-2's are all 2x7x33 and all sit on top of Marlin lever actions. The Nikon ran me $200, while the VX-2 was $300 each.

Back