6x45 barrel length??

sigpros

I have an 18" that I love. Thinking about building another one. Is there enough gain to go with the 24" barrel? I don't think there is enough gain with the 20". This will be a hunting gun for deer/antelope and coyotes in the open. I will use the 18" in the timber. Thanks for any help.

I think 24" would be a case of diminished returns. I do have a 22" that I use just for PD hunting, but I don't carry it around.

Actually, your largest gain would be between the 18" and the 20". The pressure is falling off pretty quick past 18"

I'm hoping I will be happy with the 18" I have on order. What's the reason you want longer? Just the added velocity? How satisfied are you with your 18" out to 200 yards?

I can't wait to load for this lil round. Has anyone tried the nosler 55gr varmageddon bullets for a cheap plinker?

I am happy with the 18". It shoots great. The nosler 55gr shots were shooting around an inch, the 55bt about 3/4", and the 85 hpbt Sierra all touch at a 100. I was just going to build another 6x45 and wanted to wring all I could from the barrel. I have a 16" on the way for the wifes rifle. It will be used deer hunting and shots will be within a 150 yards. The truth is I haven't shot it alot, I got it worked up a couple loads and went to texas. I killed one coyote with it and came home to missouri and shot a small doe with it. I like the rifle alot. I am taking it and my 17 rem my wife got me for christmas to NM to hunt with Tony Tebbe next month. It is going as a back up because I want to try the 17 out on some coyotes but I know the 6x45 will do the job that's why it is going! Truth is I'm a sucker for a deal and was going to order a barrel from barrels and beyond because they were so cheap. Now I'm in no hurrry. The wife is sitting here beside me and is po'd I didn't order another barrel yesterday before the price went up.

Sig

Last edited:
I own a 20" barrel and it shoots the 75 gr vmax at 2770 fps which is plenty fast for me. If you decide to shoot smaller pills of 58 gr I believe you can shoot them around 3100 pretty easy and that seems plenty fast for a coyote round for me.

sigpros also do you shoot the 85 gr hpbt in mags? My question is directed is there enough ogive to be seated properly in the mag, If so I'm going to give those a shot in my rifle then.

I am getting 2925fps with the Hornady 75gr HP from my 18 inch barreled DTech which is about 120 fps slower than my old 22 inch barreled one with the same load.

Venatic,
What powder have you found that works best for the 75's?
I was planning on using h335 when I get my barrel...
I assume the 75gr can be loaded to mag length just fine.

Ya I shoot the 85's out of the mag. Mainly I just tried them because they shoot so good in my 243. Now I need to try them out 6mm and if they work in it I will pick up a bunch of seconds at the sierra factory. I loaded them for deer but forgot to take them. Luckily I had a clip of the 55's with me. They worked.

I built a bolt action Savage 6x45 with a 24" bbl and think a 22" may have been the best of the betweens. I still get 2900 fps out of a 85g bullet and 3053 with the 65g vmax & 70g NBT, my main coyote loads.
I do feel that it is more accurate in the 24" from 400-600 yards though.
On my 6x45 AR, (sold it) I went with the 20" bbl for ease of carry & not much more weight over the 18".

Originally Posted By: loadedjoeVenatic,
What powder have you found that works best for the 75's?
I was planning on using h335 when I get my barrel...
I assume the 75gr can be loaded to mag length just fine.

Yes you can load to mag length no issue there. I have tried several good powders but these particular loads are with VV530. My Cooper really liked H4895 and I have not tried much else in it but I need to try something that does not fill the case quite so full. H335 has given me the highest velocities with 65gr to 70gr bullets and was very accurate.

I have a 16" that I love! Had a 18" that I should have kept and will probably do a 20-22" HB next for a back up PD rifle to the .204 SD...

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSH335 gave me good velocities, but H322 gave me 175 fps faster. And it seems to be cleaner burning.

What grain bullet? Just goes to show you different guns /different results. I was getting 3180fps with 68gr bullets with H335 but could not quite get to 3000fps with H322 but I did have some awesome ES/SD with H322.

My Dtech has a 20" barrel. That's maybe a good compromise in length and I really like it. It shoots like a dream. Having said that, I would like to have a lighter rifle in 6x45 with shorter barrel for lugging about.

Not sure how much velocity loss I might get from an 18" barrel or even a 16", but I have a feeling it won't be of much concern for a calling rifle since most shots would be relatively close.

Either way, the 6x45 is one heck of a nice cartridge for coyotes.

I decided on the 20" since I'll be using mine for calling and target shooting. Velocity for longer range shots on paper and suffer with 2" when calling.

My 16" 6x45 has an average speed of 2750 with 70 g. Sierra's. It is my calling rifle and is perfect as far as I'm concerned. She's a beauty!
SDC11610.jpg

But I am thinking serious about doing a 20" in a varmint contour...

MPFD,

That is indeed a beauty and something more like what I have been wanting. If you don't mind, tell me about the specs of it - ie barrel. stocks etc.

David

Back