best LED light 200-300 yards

My Olight SR90 (on high) will ID out to at least 500 yards and will pick up eyes beyond that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KizmoMy Olight SR90 (on high) will ID out to at least 500 yards and will pick up eyes beyond that.

And my Fenix TK70 will double that!
thumbup1.gif

And the winner of this "pi****g" throw contest would be the DereeLight DBS V3 XR-E EZ900 die at 1.5 amps with aspheric head.
The SR90 and TK70 put out a tremendous amount of overall light (lumens) with lots of throw, but the DBS aspheric would beat them for pure throw.

Last edited:
LOL- when I am not in a torch whizzing contest, I use my three Olight M-3Xs with red and green glass filters for more than normal throw compared to that of my other red and green led hunting lights!

Ok I don't know much about lights so how do the three above compare to a light force 140. I'd love to get rid of the battery pack but I want more light than the xlr250 in red. Do these do that?

In my opinion the xlr250 in red has it's great points and it has some faults as well. Now this is coming from someone hunting in the east so I'm more likely to call fox than a coyote. The xlr is light weight and puts out a lot of light. I have one mounted on my 870 and there is NO better light for a shotgun. I also have another that was mounted on top my 6-18vx-II rem 700 in 17 rem. I say was because I've had trouble identifying with it even at 100 yds. It must be me because everyone else sees 250 yds with their's. I'm 30 and have 20/20 vision if that helps. I always used a light force 140 and loved it other than the battery pack. On a recent set a coyote came out in the field but got nervous and turned back. I lost his eyes and I couldn't make his body out in the brown field. My buddy flipped on his xlr too and started lip squeaking. With both lights on him I barely could make him out and missed the shot. The lightforce would have lit the field up as daylight and it is now back on top and I put the white led in my 250 to use it as a search light from now on. I can't afford a missed opportunity at a coyote when they are so few and far between for us southern pa boys. As a fox only light xlr 250 is great.

alright the 250 in red 150yards on most days through a scope and i have id out 200 on a few days when there was no moon at all. the green easy 250yards but i have had foxes spook with the green.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupOriginally Posted By: KizmoMy Olight SR90 (on high) will ID out to at least 500 yards and will pick up eyes beyond that.

And my Fenix TK70 will double that!
thumbup1.gif

While the TK 70 will outperform my quoted conservative statistics (which are based on actual field experience, not theoretical hype), it won't actually outperform lux at distance due to the multiplicity of light sources and depth of the reflectors. It is however, an excellent flashlight, and those three little reflectors certainly give it a great flood application.

I ended up getting and olight m3x. the red lens is on the way but I got the light and I can identify with it out to probably close to 400 yards. I cant wait to get the red lens. I made one out of cellephane and I could see close to 200 yaards. The antireflective coating should make it go farther! Thanks for the advice guys!

You might want to try the ground glass green lens too, the XM-L LED emitter puts out much more green than red spectrum. Most LEDs do not put out that much red wavelength, unless is is a specific red LED emitter. The real ground glass filter is way better than cellophane though.

ok thanks I might. I just have had a lot of coyotes spook with green lights. But I might have to give it a try. And i did order a red real ground glass filter, the cellophane throws more of a purple color and dims the light a lot.

Where are you guys getting the red/ green filters?

Looking at a "budget" set up of a olight m30 on the gun and a TK70 to search. Didn't see filters for either.

Better suggestions at that price point?

Thanks

Vince

These are real ground glass high quality optical filters that deliver specific wavelengths of light.

Red filters over a white LED emitter do not do much good because their is a paucity of red light being emitted and you end up deleting 95% of the emitted light waves.....

Green filters however work excellent with most Cree LED emitters as they put out allot of green wavelengths.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-m30-accessories.html

If you want a real good RED LED, get a real RED LED, not a red filter....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: serevinceWhere are you guys getting the red/ green filters?

Looking at a "budget" set up of a olight m30 on the gun and a TK70 to search. Didn't see filters for either.

Better suggestions at that price point?

Thanks

Vince

Here's a post on filters.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...6793&page=1

The Rosco link provides a "where to buy" and also includes a spec sheet on light transmission for each filter. Guys toss around the terms green and red like there is only one green and red filter, the fact is there are several of each that will work and several that won't, it's all based on light transmission. Not all red filters eliminate 95% of the light transmitted. I'd buy a red or green LED before I'd put a filter on a big money flashlight, but you could always get a Butler Creek scope cap to fit your light and have at it. I have played with all kinds of filter colors and there is no magical combination. Many guys use white light.

100_3707.jpg

I put filters on $15 white LEDs and had great success. Now you can find colored LEDs for $30 that are just as good as anything out there.

There's a measureable and definite advantage to hunting with a .223 vs .22 long. I think when we get into these lights my analogy is .223 vs .223. One being an H&R single shot the other being a custom AR from D-Tech, both will work it all depends on what you want to spend. A Cree X-PE R2 LED (for example) doesn't perform any different in a light whether you spend $20 or $100.

Last edited:
The Aurora cree with a Q5 bulb works very well. I have fine cross hairs and have no problems seeing them and the entire coyote at 250 yds. And it's only $40.00 through dealextreme.
This last winter we went with the standard clear lens and had great results.

Back