What power scope for a 204?

Warnberg

I'm thinking about going to a little higher quality optics for my 204... currently it has a Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5-20X50 (came with it)... any suggestions? Is this about the right power or should I go higher? What do you like/use?

Thanks

Dave

I think it depends on the type and location of your average shooting...

I have a Leupold 4.5-14x, with the Varmint Hunter reticle, on my CZ 527 Varmint (.204) and the stadia lines are pretty accurate out to 600 yards...A lot farther than I will normally be shooting..

I have a Sightron S2, 4-16x Mil-Dot on my .204 AR that I use for Prairie Dogs...

While I have a 8-32x on my Rem 700 Tactical (.223), I usually wind up backing it down to about 18x due to mirage when the Sun/barrel starts getting warm...

All of the scopes are super clear and I think that helps with visibility and accuracy more than the higher powers that can be available...

If you are planning on a different scope, I really think you will be spending better money on a higher quality one, at the lower power spectrums, then trying for the higher power ones....A lot of your really good long range shooters use a fixed 10x in a really high dollar scope....

Depends on what you plan to use it for. You could take a poll and see what others use. But, it will still boil down to your own preference.

To answer your last question: Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

I'm using a cheap Mueller 4-16x50 tactical, with illuminated crosshairs. It's cheap but serves it's purpose just fine for me. I hardly ever use it on 16x. I think the only time I actually have was looking for a woodchucks face at a little past 300yds.

Thanks for the input... my shooting is anywhere from Florida to New Mexico (wide open).... so maybe it's not a higher power scope I should be looking at but something with better optics.

Thanks All

This is a personal matter, pick what you want, you have to use it. I am a magnification junkie, so a Sightron SIII 8-32X56 sits atop my predator rig. Many, the vast majority, would tell you this is way past overkill for a calling rig.

However, of the 4 yotes I've shot recently, 3 were under 30 yards, 2 were moving, one was killed at about 15 feet trotting away as he saw me when we were about 10 feet apart.
So, the 8 on the low end seems to work just fine for me and the 32 on top was nice for the other at 300.

Figure out what YOU like and what best suits you, buy the best quality you can, we have no business telling you what would be best for you.

I have the simple Leupold Rifleman QDM Matte-Black 3X9X40mm scope on my CZ-USA .204 "Varmint"...the scope is good and clear and magnifies great in low-light conditions in the early mornings and late evenings...as it gets dark I turn it down to the 3-power and it draws in more available light then if its on a higher power.

If I was shooting out further than 200-300 yards I might consider a higher powered scope but with the many different terrains,rolling hills and open field combo's simple is better for my type of Coyote/Predator Hunting!

the statement that long range shooters use 10x scopes is true.....kinda. typically they are used by the tactical crowd that are shooting different distances and using reticles to judge distance. most of those guys arent hunting with them. i'd have to say a fixed power scope for hunting is less effective IF you plan to shoot at ranges from 30-600yds.

as has been stated: the power range will be determined by how YOU want to use it. i carry a shotgun so my 6-20 is perfect for what i use it for. if you only carry one gun and like the lower power settings for close shots because it's easier to get a sight picture you may want to go lower than 6x. if you're looking for a do all scope the March 2.5-25 would be awesome. but you (and I) may not want to drop that kind of coin.

in short: what's the max power you feel that you would use and min power that you think you would need? and go from there. designating these powers isn't arbitrary but developed from your personal preference.

my brother and i called a yote in and he tried to find it in his scope on 9x at 10yds as it walked by him. (the 12ga in his lap might have made things easier) i had to shoot it at 50 yds after it walked past him. make sure you can make the close shots because in my experience there are more close shots than long distance shots in predator hunting. i'd say about 95% of your shots will be under 200yds no matter where you hunt. and around 50% of the time they can be under 50yds if you play your cards right.

I have a Mueller APV 4.5-14X40 on my 204 and I love it. Have had it for three years and not one problem with it. Bright and clear, its the only Mueller I own, but I wouldnt hesitate trying one of their other scopes if the need arises.

Whats the smallest target at the longest range you want to shoot? Its really hard to judge a best magnification with just a caliber. If you're shooting yotes at 300m or p-dogs at 500.... There's a big difference on what you'll need to PID a target. But I always prefer the best glass I can afford with the best repeatability I can buy. Magnification doesn't matter if you can't use it because of bad glass.

Back