Favorite powder for 50 to 55 grain v-max bullets in AR?

moonshine44

I'm not going to make the mistake of asking what the best powder is
laugh.gif
Instead I'll ask what you're favorite powder is for those bullet weights. I've been using Varget and hand-dipping the powder, but I'm going to be loading .223's on my Dillon after the caliber conversion kit gets here. Since Varget is a long-grain powder I'm not sure how well it'll feed through the powder measure, so I'm looking for some other suggestions just in case I need to change. What do y'all say? Can you help me out?

Last edited:
Benchmark... Really liking the IMR 8208 in my 6.5 Grendel. Going to try it in the 223 AR along with some Nosler 50 and 55 grain bullets. I think it will work out well too. I really like both of these powders as they burn so clean and provide great velocity. And I havent had an issue with either being temp sensitive

I use a lot of Tac in those bullet weights, and like it best with the 55 gr. V-max or soft points. CFE 223 shows real promise, 52 gr. Sierra HP shooting under .5 in my 1/8 20". CFE is right next to BL-C2 on the chart and appears to be same stuff with a little modification.

So what's so horrible about BL-C2? I'm asking because I've never used it. I use Varget for pretty much all of my centerfire rifle loads except for 7.62x39, .45-70 and .30-40 Krag.

TAC has become my choice here of late, used a lot of 4198 and H322.

BLC can be temperature sensitive, that's the only bad thing I can think of. I've used a ton of it in 220 Swift.

I know "Varget" is a popular answer, but it has some nasty variations in the little 223 case....

The FOREVER standard in BR circles was 26.6gr of Win 748 and a 55 gr bullet.
The AR I'm shooting now likes 27gr better.

Originally Posted By: moonshine44So what's so horrible about BL-C2? I'm asking because I've never used it. I use Varget for pretty much all of my centerfire rifle loads except for 7.62x39, .45-70 and .30-40 Krag.

It's supposed to be temperature sensative. I've run a mild dose of it in my AR from winter temps to blazing 100°+ temps both here in Virginia and New Mexico and haven't experienced any trouble with the difference in temperatures, humidity, or altitude. I'm no benchrest guy shooting extreme distance with it either, but haven't seen any noticable POI shifts or drastic changes to set off any alarms so far at hunting distances. Been dumping the same dose of it since I started reloading for my AR.

I've used Varget for awhile now but just recently in an AR. From 20 degree days to 100 degree days have shown no problems with it. I don't do max loads with it as the accuracy is better with slightly milder loads, at least for me.

H335 for me. I started with this powder because was what was on the shelf at the LGS. It's worked very well, had no need to try anything else. I use Varget for my 69s and my 308.

Back