Flattest shooting or best max point blank range for a short action?

Jacob_Hanan

Well I've got a new (to me) rem 700 short action and am wanting to build a gun that will have the longest max point blank range. So I don't have to range and adjust the scope. I'm kinda building this one for my dad and he's not into all of the ranging and adjusting the scope stuff.

It's going to be a medium varmint weight rifle for everything from coyotes to deer to hogs. I don't care what caliber. I'm just wanting you guys input on what is the flattest and it has to fit into a remmy sa.

I kinda like the 243ai and the 270wsm, 7mmwsm.

I've got a 270wsm and a 243 ai and love them. I'd like something that is as flat as my 257 weatherby.

Thanks for the info guys. And I know it's kind of a broad question.

Yes it will but you have to have a magnum bolt face or else you will need to buy a bolt as well. I would not recomend changing a bolt face unless it is done by a well respected smith.

What caliber was this rifle?

There is a BIG difference between "flatest shooting" and "long range caliber". Shooting heavy bullets at medium+ velocities is great for way out there after the arc starts; but is not going to be as "flat" as ultra fast light bullets. So, I'm thinking much smaller diameter than 7mm.

If we are not talking killing power or wind resistance, a 6mmAI with no throat (for light bullets & mag length) would be hard to beat for PBR (point blank range).

EDIT: A 55gr nosler BT has a PBR of ~375 yards when pushed an acheivable (with said case) 4200fps

Last edited:
Which bolt face do you have?

Magnum bolt face, 25 wsm. A wildcat, 270 wsm necked down. About the only way to approach the 257 wby in a short action.

Standard bolt face, 6.5x284. JMO

My 6CM even with the 115 Dtacs shoots pretty flat. Especially out to 1000 and beyond. I am not sure what the MPBR is though. I would guess a 22-243ai rockin the 75 or 80gr A-max should be fairly flat.

Originally Posted By: Jacob_HananWell I've got a new (to me) rem 700 short action and am wanting to build a gun that will have the longest max point blank range. So I don't have to range and adjust the scope. I'm kinda building this one for my dad and he's not into all of the ranging and adjusting the scope stuff.

It's going to be a medium varmint weight rifle for everything from coyotes to deer to hogs. I don't care what caliber.

Thanks for the info guys. And I know it's kind of a broad question.

Jacob:

You DO HAVE TO CARE what caliber [chambering]; the respective drop and resultant MPBR is unique to the chambering....(though many chamberings' MPBR are close to each other) and unique to the target size of the game you are shooting at.

A coyote and and a deer have a different terminal target size, i.e. you may not want to be sighted in 3 inches high for coyotes, but you may wish to do that for deer. For either, maybe 1.5 inches high at 100 is more desirable.

So, put on your thinking cap, and read up on the various chamberings you are considering in a short action using the ballistics charts in a loading manual (the Nosler 4th Edition manual has a good set of ballistic drop charts for various bullets and velocities).

Last edited:
It's a 308 right now.

And I have a gunsmith that is very good and has built several rifles for me. I talked with him about the 6mmai in the past. He says he has built them on sa 700 but it's not the best platform. We had talked about a 12 twist with no throat. That might work and work well.

I have researched chamberings for years for other builds I have done, just seeing if there might be something that I have missed. I had kinda forgot about the 22-243.

I've just got done with a 6-6.5x47L with a 12 twist for a coyote gun. I haven't even scoped it yet as I am in the middle of load development for my first ar. (I love that gun)

I'm building this gun for my dad who's old fashioned. It will be for deer most of the time. I will do the loading for him as well.

Money is not really an issue right now. (to a point);)

Thank you guys for the help. Keep it coming.

I love this site!

Last edited:
How about the 5mm/35 SMc from Mic Mcpherson? With a 1-8 twist barrel and Berger's 55 grain 20 cal that thing shoots like a lazer! I've heard of guys getting 3800 fps with the 55's. Gotta be tough on barrels, but they claim not as bad as expected. I ran some preiminary numbers and sighted in for 250 yards it's 1.25" high at 150 and only 2" low at 300 and 10" low at 400. I understand Savage will chamber for this through their custom shop.

There's a big difference between target size on deer and target size on coyotes and a cartridge that has good MPBR for one may not be good for the other. Personally, the negatives of a magnum, even the short ones, make them less appealing than say a .243 or .260. Not worth the it. All IMO of coarse.

4" target size = coyote: 58gr. .243 Vmax at 4000 has a 270 yard MPBZ and a 310 yard MPBR.
8" target size = deer: 105gr Amax at 3000 has a 280 yard MPBZ and a 330 yard MPBR. Heck, my Sierra 85gr HPBT at 3100 have about an identical MPBR.
After you get beyond those ranges wind drift is gonna be a huge factor with any cartridge (including magnums) and negate any advantages of using MPBR.

CB

I would think for what you have described (up to deer sized game)it would about have to be in the 6MM family of cartridges. Various posts above have mentioned barrel life etc....that is not what you asked, and if it's a hunting rifle then barrel life wont be a factor for a long time anyway. I think your best option is a 243 AI or a 6MM AI in a 10 or 12 twist depending on what bullet you choose. Your flattest shooting bullets in these calibers (at normal hunting ranges) for up to deer sized game will be: 65-87 grain bullets.

I shoot .243 and 6MM AI and with fairly hot handloads. They shoot amazingly flat.

Back