.223 55gr.soft points

EasternPredHunter

If you have shot any predators with a .223 55gr. soft point,please post a pic so I can see how fur friendly they are. If they violate the forums rules for graphic pictures, please PM the pics. I would also appreciate it if you could include the brand of ammo used.

Thanks
EPH

Eastern PredHunter;

One of the best for the .223 is the Hornady 55 gr. SX/SP {Hornady #2260}...I think Hornady still sells it.

If not, try the 55 gr. SP {#2265} although it also doubles as a deer bullet, and is less explosive with a thicker jacket than the SX/SP.

Speer has the 55 gr SP [#1047]

Speer makes a good 45 grain softpoint, the Speer #1023 as does Sierra (#1310)which are very effective at .223 velocities.

And, the Speer 52 gr. HP (#1035) is worth looking at in HP.

Those would be my choices; sorry no pics.
But I have killed many, many groundhogs with all of these. I would think all will work on preserving coyote pelts while killing well.

Last edited:
I have pics but none showing the damage done.

If you're shooting factory the 55g PSP from Remington is a good choice.

I've used them on fox and bobcats and if you're off of bone it was a nickel size entrance and a nickel size exit

This stuff right here.

Accurate.
Cheap.
Easy on fur.

I've got lots of pics of animals I've killed with these, but none really were tore up enough to see the damage in the pics.
on sale $26.99 for a box of 50.

file_8.JPG

Last edited:
Often there is no noticeable damage to photograph. Even using the .22-250 55 psp I have shot them close(20 yds) and could not find a hole til back at the truck showing a little blood.
They don't shoot quite as hard or flat as BT's but are consistent.

Originally Posted By: CrazyHorse66 This stuff right here.

Accurate.
Cheap.
Easy on fur.

I've got lots of pics of animals I've killed with these, but none really were tore up enough to see the damage in the pics.

file_8.JPG

We have 3 ARs so we go through a lot of ammo. I buy this bullet in bulk and wind up loading 100 for about $25 or maybe a little less. Very accurate and performs well on game up to deer.

I just shot a yote @ 125 yds with 22-250 using speer 50 gr sp. Exit hole was about the size of a quarter maybe a little bigger. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: CrazyHorse66 This stuff right here.

Accurate.
Cheap.
Easy on fur.

file_8.JPG

This is exactly what I am using. THey easily go moa. On rabbits they sometimes pass through with no expansion if they dont' hit bone. On coyote I could not see the entrance and the exit was small too there was just some blood on the the exit side. These are an excellent place to start.

I am lucky I have a 1-12 barrel that loves these.
Turns crows in to a small black clouds.
Any one tried these by Winchester?

223.jpg

I was buying the white box winnys whe they cost less than $12. They shoot pretty good in all firearms I've shot them in. Dont forget to save the brass.

Originally Posted By: willy1947

223.jpg

yes these work very well , the bullet is exclusive to the loaded ammo , they used to be very inexspensive to shoot , now they are not, but still shoot very well

Originally Posted By: willy1947

223.jpg

When I purchased my Bushy Varminter (my 1st black rifle...[beeep] disease!
grin.gif
), this was the first ammo I tried. My buddy and I couldn't believe the groups these things produced. I've since loaded my own using Vmax's and the Hornady sp's with great success, but these little 45gr pills were freaking unbelievable! I'm talking .5" 5 shot groups with a 1:9 twist. I can match that with my best sorted handloads, but there isn't another factory load that I've tried that comes close.

Last edited:
Im shooting Federal Blue Box .223 Rem, 55 grain Soft Points out of a Remington 700 ADL for P. Dogs and Coyote. still no luck with even seeing a yote. need a better scope for P. Dogs, or a range finder. Anyone else using these?

Last edited:
Back