Arizona Dove

Mike McDonald

What's up with the Arizona dove hunting? Used to be you had to have a Harvest Information Program (HIP) stamp on your license to hunt migratory birds. It was free, just answer a few questions about how many birds you shot last year. Now it costs something like $3 bucks. And what's with dove being classified as migratory anyway? Not at my house. They are in my yard all year long. I don't mind paying for wild life conservation, but let's be forthright about it. It damn sure does't cost the state 3 bucks a head to have a hunter guesstimate how many birds he shot last year.

Mike - I saw the fee to shoot doves comming long before they admitted that this was going to happen. Kind of p***es me off. Last year I went to the local Wal-mart to get a stamp and they were OUT. I could not hunt doves because of it.

Mike like it or not doves are migratory game birds. It is likely that the doves that you watched all summer are not the same birds that you are going to hunt this year. From what I understand the local Arizona birds split southward early and the more northern birds take their place. Sort of a wave effect. Until November. Then the cycle reverses.

Michael

[This message has been edited by ryank (edited 08-22-2001).]

Is the HIP fee for all states? Or just AZ?

Ryan

------------------
NV88280.jpg

Got the same fee in NM, but for now it's only a buck. Started out free a few years ago just like AZ, so it'll probably go up too. It's not just for doves here. It's for all migratory birds, so if you want to hunt ducks and geese you'd better have it too. Plus the duck stamp, plus the Habitat Improvement Stamp, plus the vendor fee, plus... And, if you hunt band-tailed pigeons, you need another $1 stamp.

Back