What shot size do you like for doves?

Van Cent Nebr

For me I have to say 7 1/2's work best. We set up at water holes or walk weed patches and it seems to me that 8's run out of steam to fast to be effective.

I shoot 8's and 9's early in the season and when hunting waterholes. When hunting big fields, I usually shoot 7.5's.

PS: Send some birds for the 1st!

------------------
Bye y'all
yotewalk.gif

B. Pierce

Been using #9 for years, load my own in a pretty hot 12 gauge load using AA hulls. Shoot them in a Rem 1100 Special field, get my limit once or twice a season, which is all I need since I am the only one that eats them.

Pecos

I admire you guys that use the 9 shot.

It could be compared to using the .17 for coyote's.
biggrin.gif

Ryan

------------------
NV88280.jpg

ryank - Shooting a shotgun in Maine is much different than shooting a shotgun in the southwest. When I was growing up in New York the smallest shot that I'd use was 6's. Then I moved down to Arizona and learned that most anything bigger than 7's is way over kill for most things in the south. Shooting a gambels quail with 6's is like shooting a coyote with a 7mm mag. Sooo, the use of 9's is not that unusual down here, specially on doves. It doesn't take much to kill a dove, but you do have to hit them. For a number of years I used an over & under 2 3/4" 410 bored skeet and skeet reloaded with 9 shot, did right well with it. I used to think that it was funny to have a 12ga shooter come up to me and mention that my little 20ga did pretty well on doves, at that I'd say "yep the 20ga does right well on doves" then pop the shells out of the little 410 and say "it even does well for a 410." They'd look at my limit and they'd look at their 3 or 4 birds, shake their head and walk away. To be honest I probably couldn't do this today. At the time I was shooting a number of skeet league's with the 410 and it fit me like a glove. One of those guns that I'm truely sorry for selling.

Michael

I like 8s a little better. Seems like all the 7 1/2 rounds have a pretty light shot charge so they can get the speed up. I like the heavier (1 1/8 ounce) load of 8s. I use them on quail later when the extra shot really counts, so it's good to get used to them on doves early on. I just buy a case or so at the end of August and use them straight through the end of quail season.

LOL,
Thanks for the story and info Mike.

I would have paid to see that guys face when he found out it was a .410. LOL
biggrin.gif

Up hear in the northern states you never hear of anyone using 7.5, 8, or 9's unless they are shooting sporting clays.

Ryan

------------------
NV88280.jpg

Back