dove season is a comin up

When we li9ved in idaho we used to have the best dove setup. It was about 1/2 mile from a lake/snake river, and it was bordering some far fields, and wild sunflowers. 2 of us would sit at the bottom of the hill under a large russian olive tree, and two of us would walk about 1/2 mile up the hill and sit under this other little grove of rusian olives. We'd shoot at the dove and they'd take off and fly to the other gorve, they'd shoot and they'd fly back, they'd do this for over an hour till they caught on, we'd get around 20
smile.gif

Bad Medicine,

Sounds to me like you had a good technique going for you. We do the same with ducks, they will go from one pond to the next for hours before they realize what's going on.
biggrin.gif

Ryan

p.s. Speaking of upcoming season's, early goose season is just around the corner for us.
biggrin.gif
(can't wait!!)

------------------
NV88280.jpg

Our liberal Clintonista governer Tom Shitsak voted the dove hunting bill down last year. Even after the legislature passed it. What an asshole. I've never hunted them but my brother says it's a hoot. He hunted them along the Big Sioux river when he was at SDSU in Brookings, SD. He said they tasted great too. When I was trying to win minds over last year I got the argument that hey had very little meat. I then asked, "do you eat bluegills?"
Living in a liberal state can be a damn shame.
Chris

Yep, only a couple of weeks. I went out last weekend and busted some clays just to get in the groove. Me and the old BPS are still a well-matched team. I can almost taste the grilled dove-kabobs now. Won't be long...

Ah, dove season! The joke around here has always been get ready for a strong cold front to come in, it usually does a week before the dove season opens to send the doves down to Texas and Arizona. Amazing how many times that happens. A few years back, 11 of us set up in a wheat field one evening and dropped 146 doves, skinned them on the way back to town, fried them up and ate them all that night. Not sure I would call them great eating, but the wingshooting challenge is great. Last year, I started out hitting 9 out of the first 11 shots--took another box of shells to finish out the limit of 15. The first 11 shells were high speed loads, the last box was a good 200 fps slower. Very tough to go from fast to slow. You can bet I've stocked up with some 1350 fps burners for this year.

i don't know what the allure is to dove hunting but i love it.. If i only get 2 or 3 i am still happy as can be.. Seems liek the only game bird that allmost anyone can hunt.. don't ahve to use hard kicking shells. No having to be precise with your rifle It's simple point and shoot..... Last year me and my friend Took out his 9 year old brother and His lil 20 gauge like mine And he busted a pair about 10 feet from us and They landed at our feet..... We ted to hutn around ponds with trees around them here.. The doves fly over the pond to land on the tree and ya Blow der butts outta the air...here in mo they dropped the limit to 12 and added 10 days to the season...going to a gun show sunday and i'm gonna Grab Some shells there....my plan now si to go oil my shotgun and shoot some clays.... talk to you all later

Hey, RyanK I live about four hours from you. Down here in French Lake MN near Annandale. You probably hear of us because of the Junkyard!! I used to spend about a week every winter up your way in Biwabik. Gorgeous country.

Next time your up in this area let me know, we can always hunt something around here.

And welcome to Predator Masters, you will enjoy yourself here.

Ryan

------------------
NV88280.jpg

The last 2 years I didn't even hunt dove or quail. My Llewellin setter went deaf and is now 90% blind. But this year I have a new pup so the end of the seasons I hope to take her out on a very limited basis. She'll be 4 months old next week. She sits and watches the doves on the phone line as if to say " just come a little closer" She has already killed 2 house finches. So she looks like a good prospect. Will Work her more during quail season which lasts until the end of FEb. Jon

Golly I hate Dove season. Not because I don't like to hunt'em, I do. I hate it because (I don't place any Predator Master members in this group) every yahoo that thinks that he knows which end of the gun the lead comes out of is out with all his buddies, standin' shoulder to shoulder drinkin beers, shooting at everything that flies by, givin' hunters a bad name. It's gettin' so I won't hunt where the good shootin' is, been hit by falling and not so falling shot too many times. Heck, I've even come way to close to others that I didn't even know were there. Scares the snott out of me.

Michael

I like dove hunting as much as predators. I have had to squeeze 2 bb's out of my face from being shot. I decided after that that I only hunt non congested areas! If there are more than 5 hunters I head for the open desert. I may not get as many doves but I don't have to worry about my dog getting shot , or me. My pup is too young probably for this year but I'll work her on quail first. Jon

Back