First quail chicks this year....

Critr Gitr

We saw our first Gambel's Quail chicks of this year yesterday. There were probably 6-10, could't get a good count the way they kept darting around.

Today saw another bunch. The chicks are smaller than the ones we saw yesterday. About 7-9 chicks. Blundered out on the porch and scared them before I knew they were there (they were on the stones right at the bottom of the porch steps) so didn't get an accurate count.

But from these 2 groups, it looks like the unusually heavy winter rains have paid off in a great Gambel's hatch here in Arizona this year!!!

------------------
Critr

LW42144.jpg

www.SaguaroSafaris.com

Haven't noticed any around here yet, but my field time has been pretty limited lately because of spring "honey-dos". Looking for a new quail crop seems like a good excuse to go play in the desert. I'd like to see as many quail as we had last year. Sure makes for action-packed hunting come November!

It sure would make a good excuse... at least for some folks.... but not for me!!
frown.gif

We live out "in the bush", quite literally, and have a wildlife preserve right behind us. I just observe 'em in our yard....
biggrin.gif

------------------
Critr

LW42144.jpg

www.SaguaroSafaris.com

Sounds like your going to have a pretty good season Critr. I wish I was seeing more grouse chicks around here but it hasn't happened yet, I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled though.

Ryan

------------------
NV88280.jpg

This isn't bird hunting, but last night about 9 pm our motion light in the back yard came on (we have a picture window from the living room to the back yard), and there were a few javelina milling around foraging for food. There was one little one, the smallest I have ever seen. Not nearly 6 inches tall. Spent most of his time trying to figure out which one was mama.

CUTE!!!

------------------
Critr

LW42144.jpg

www.SaguaroSafaris.com

Back